Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

How do i upload my website

by artchick / March 1, 2007 2:59 AM PST

I am new to uploading sites. I have a domain name and created my website with Dreamweaver . But dreamweaver suxs it doesnt download my website so i was told that it is easier and more secure to download and FTP server. Does anyone recommend one for the MAC that is FREE?
Thanks
artchick-

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i upload my website
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i upload my website
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ftp for mac
by Kees Bakker / March 1, 2007 3:45 AM PST

Googling for ftp mac finds http://www.creativemac.com/2002/09_sep/tutorials/ftposx020924.htm telling it's built into OS X 10.2

Since you only say "Mac" and nothing about the OS version (and they change much more frequently than the versions of Windows, I'm afraid) I can't tell if this is a good way to go for you.
Why not try our Mac OS or Mac Applications forum? We've a very good mod there and rather specialized visitors.

Kees

Collapse -
thanks
by artchick / March 1, 2007 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Re: ftp for mac

srry forgot to mention that. I have a mac os x 10.93

Collapse -
FTP
by junioruf / March 1, 2007 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

We use Cyberduck it works pretty well. Look it up on google. Dreamweaver has an ftp program built in that is pretty good too.

Collapse -
Fetch
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 1:03 PM PST
Collapse -
Dreamweaver and FTP
by santoslhelper / March 2, 2007 5:08 AM PST

Dreamweaver can connect to your site through FTP. In the top menu, Go to Site --> New Site and put in all of your site's info.

Collapse -
thanks but..
by artchick / March 2, 2007 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Dreamweaver and FTP

I did that and it doesnt work . After i create a new site then i go to -->PUT --> and it doesnt work /download so i am going to try to Download a FTP tool

Collapse -
dude, u r crazy.
by marcelomdsc / March 12, 2007 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks but..

why would you use an ftp program, when u can use ftp with dreamweaver, specially if u have dw 8.
U need to create a site definition and then u can upload the whole site or just the file u want by doing one click,instead of using a different program, this will really save u a lot of time and work!

all u need to do is this, create a new site definition, choose ftp, type in the server name your folder, probably "public_html" and then your username and password, some servers will only let you connect using safe ftp, some beware of that, and there is a "test connection" button or something like that, which u should hit before finishing, in case u made any mistakes, besides after u r done, u can export it as an .ste file and this will let u use that site definition anywhere by just importing it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!