Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how do i upgrade from windows xp home edition to xp pro vers

I have dell inspiron 700m with windows xp home however, my school now req that I have xp pro version. Can anybody tell me how to go about doing this. I read several forums saying I could just buy upgrade and pop in cd and it will work and several who say that I must do clean install. If I do upgrade , can anybody suggest what should I purcahse. I tried looking for things but they all say different things like, OEM version only, Full version only-- will not work for upgrade, academic version only.

And once I change the OS will my built in wireless and so forth work in my laptop? Any help will be apprecaited because I can not afford to buy a new computer since I just brought this one

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do i upgrade from windows xp home edition to xp pro vers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do i upgrade from windows xp home edition to xp pro vers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You sure?

In reply to: how do i upgrade from windows xp home edition to xp pro vers

A lot of Universities RECOMMEND that you have XP Pro, but it seems kind of odd that they'd REQUIRE it. You might want to double check with any help desk type people on that one.

To clear up a few things though. You should be able to just pop in an XP Pro CD and upgrade Home to Pro. Generally speaking, a clean install is the better route to take, but not necessary. Doesn't matter if you get the OEM, retail, or academic versions, they'll all work. The catch with OEM versions however, is there's no support, and it will forever be locked to that specific laptop. Retail and Academic versions are the same thing, only you get a discount on the Academic version if you buy it through your school or some such. You may also not get a box or "manual" (usually more of a pamphlet) with it. Just a CD in a sleeve with a CD key code on a sticker on the back. Still not a bad deal if you ask me.

Also, any hardware that works with XP Home will work with XP Pro. You may have to reinstall some drivers, but unless Dell has recently changed their practices, you should have gotten a blue colored CD that has all the drivers and probably a Norton Antivirus trial version, etc. This will be necessary if you do a clean install, but an upgrade should be able to use your existing drivers just fine.

But before you go getting too far along, I would strongly recommend that you double check on this requirement of XP Pro. That just seems rather suspect to me, since so many systems come loaded with XP Home, they'd likely have a large volume of phone calls from irate parents. If it's not an absolute requirement, leave well enough alone. There's probably nothing in XP Pro that's worth the upgrade price for you unless you're majoring in something like MIS. But if you were, you probably wouldn't be asking such basic questions, and if you are, now's a good a time as any to pick a different major.

Collapse -
upgrade from office xp home to pro

In reply to: You sure?

Thanks for your response. Yeah I checked twice, called them and even talk with the tech help desk. They said to ensure standard and stability all students must have same os and they insist it must be xp pro.

Collapse -
Something doesn't seem right

In reply to: upgrade from office xp home to pro

Unless you've got one of the world's worst set of IT people running your school, there's something you're leaving out.

Like, what if some person bought a Mac? Are they going to say this person can't use that computer on the campus network? I work for a major state University, and we strongly recommend XP Pro for PCs, but it's not a requirement.

And your subject line... There's a HUGE difference between Office and Windows. One is a suite of applications (Office), the other is an operating system (Windows). Office runs on top of Windows. So are you maybe talking about Office and NOT Windows?

Collapse -
XP PRO CD

Just pop in the windows xp professional edition cd and update...It should have no problem. good luck!

Collapse -
Schools, Microsoft & XP-Pro

Many colleges are Microsoft biased (due to that being what local employers want to hire).

At our local community college they teach almost all of their basic application development classes using VB.Net, C#.Net, J#.Net, ASP.Net, etc.; however, they also teach Unix, Cisco, Java and other OS, network and software products as advanced courses.

The bookshop here sells the full or upgrade XP-Pro student edition for less than $100 so it is hardly worth the fight to try to find/set-up an open source OS/server product (Apache, Linux) especially if (you are a beginner or) classes have already started.

Re: Full/Upgrade ... I would prefer the full myself, but that could be more hassle to install. Either XP-Pro package should have instructions, but if not you can go to the MS website ... it is really quite easy to use the 'upgrade'.

If you are sure you want to learn Microsoft operating systems and/or you have hopes of setting up a home network, you may want to consider purchasing a one year MSDN operating system subscription. That subscription will get you multiple licenses to download and install both the upgrade and the full version of XP (and Win-98, Win-2000, future patches, extra documentation, etc). Last I knew the student edition of it was less than $200, but it can take a while to get (generally via web vendors with faxed proof of student status).

Note: After you upgrade you may have set-up issues to deal with if your class involves web development (testing) using any 'MS Visual Studio' product (ie: VB.Net or ASP.Net) ... you must have IIS (or other web server software) and the .net framework properly installed/configured. The trick here is these three things must be installed in the following sequence:
1. IIS (personal/PC web server),
2. the .net framework (handles the common run libraries produced when you compile visual studio .net programs/web pages), and
3. the visual studio product itself.
These products 'step on each others toes' (overlay each others .dll's) so if you install in the wrong sequence you have to uninstall ALL then reinstall ALL of them.

As far as using web server software other than IIS, I have observed students struggling with Win-98, XP-Home and Linux set-up problems to the point they have had trouble passing the class (the instructor often does not know the competitor products so cannot help you 'connect', etc). I personally have no experience with visual studio software other than with Win-2000 (works fine), XP-Home (can develop but not test) and XP-Pro (works fine).

Many people have entered the work place via community colleges and Microsoft products ... yes, there are better schools and products, but bread on the table still comes first.

Good Luck,

GoodTime Charlie, VA

Collapse -
I am going to a pharmacy school

In reply to: Schools, Microsoft & XP-Pro

Sorry if I sound like computer novice. My major is Doctor of pharmacy. My school req laptop and it has to have xp pro. I double checked, they said home wont suffice. When I buy the pro, should I just buy the one that says upgrade on it. Should I buy retail level or OEM?

Collapse -
I would buy student edition upgrade only in your case

In reply to: I am going to a pharmacy school

Given you do not want to become a computer geek/learn PC 'stuff' and that your school requires XP-Pro (I'm not sure why if you are not messing with Info Systems classes, but that's another issue) ...

I would go the simple/kinda cheap route. Get the XP-Pro Upgrade ''Student Edition'' from your schools student bookstore (about $80-90 last January locally) rather than getting the regular upgrade via web or Best Buy (about $170-180 last I looked). The student edition XP-Pro version is identical to the non-student version for everything I have heard/experienced.

''OEM'' is what you get when you buy a PC withan operating system direct from Dell or another ''Original Equipment Manufacturer'' and is normally not available in stores, eBay, except if open package or possibly an illegal/duplicated copy. Also, often OEM versions will have audio, video, etc., drivers? specific to their hardware (HP) and will not work on other vendors hardware (Dell).

Of course, if you are buying a new PC, get XP-Pro installed by the manufacturer/vendor right from the get go (and try to get the Microsoft XP-Pro CD's rather than or along with the vendors "recovery CD").

Good luck future Rx'er ... say, I seem to be a pill or two short ... hummmm ... got any extra?

GoodTime Charlie, VA

Collapse -
XP Home-to-Pro upgrade

In reply to: I would buy student edition upgrade only in your case

There once was an upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro that was about half the cost of the standard upgrade, which really is from Win 98/ME to XP Pro. I presume this is still available, and the student cost shouldn't be more than about $50; check with your student bookstore or IT department.

Charley gave a good reason that Windows XP be required; this is what most business and industry use and is, therefore what you need to be trained in. (Art, graphic design, etc. are the exceptions; they are the main MAC users.) In your profession, how many pharmacies and hospitals use MACs? I would guess no more than a percent or so. In fact, I wonder how much pharmaceutical software is even available for MACs?

With regard to the requirement for XP Pro ? there can be some very good reasons. One of these reasons is Pro?s networking capabilities. If your school's network uses Active Directory domains, XP Home cannot access them. If Group Policies are used, XP Home cannot handle them. Another thing beyond the capabilities of XP Home is Roaming Profiles. In a university, data access needs can vary widely between departments, and sometimes even between courses. Also, doctoral candidates generally need, and are granted, greater information access privileges than are given other students. All of these factors are easily handled using the networking features mentioned above. I think the IT department at your school may be very wise to use them; they would certainly be far from being ?one of the worlds worst,? as suggested in an earlier post. I am surprised that the poster, who works for a major state university, did not recognize this. But then, he did not say he worked for the IT Dept. or any of the more technical schools or departments.

Frank

Collapse -
Considered that, still doesn't make sense

In reply to: XP Home-to-Pro upgrade

You might well be surprised at how many Macs there are out there. It's been estimated that they account for about 16% of all computers, not just new units sold, which is where most places get their figures. And since OS X is pretty much just a nice GUI on top of a FreeBSD core, it's rather trivial to port almost any Unix program to OS X, provided you don't want a native Aqua GUI. There are huge repositories of command line apps that have been ported, and OS X has an X11 compatibility layer you can add in as well. And I don't think either of us knows enough about the industry to know how much software there is or isn't for any particular platform in the pharmecutical field.

A lot of businesses also use Unix workstations and servers to manage all the mission critical stuff. Windows just isn't reliable enough for that... Yet at least.

Still, like I said, I work for a major state 4-year University, and we have various departments that have domain servers. We still manage to integrate Macs in fairly well. Some whole departments are Mac only. And it's not like Microsoft invented any of the things you mention. Microsoft just has a first rate marketing department, and they all but flat out bribe the CFOs of large corporations and other institutions to get their software used. They also are the masters of the low initial cost. Compared to the $10K you might spend on a single Unix server, Windows seems incredibly cheap. Until you figure out that Windows doesn't come with development software, most of the server functionality is sold apart and at a hefty price, and when you factor in everything you get with a single Unix server, the $10K price is usually a bargain compared to Windows. But CFOs aren't technically minded most of the time, and they see this cheap initial price, and the bean counter in them gets all excited and starts doing a happy dance followed by some grubby little hand rubbing. They buy it, and then the order is passed down from on high to the IT dept, that the company just bought this software and it's going to be used.

Basically, there are plenty of ways you can achieve the same results... It may be a bit less uniform than Windows, but it plays nicely with pretty much ANYTHING. Mac, Windows (any version), Linux/BSD, commercial Unix... Granted I don't have all the details, but it sounds to me like the IT department in question is taking the lazy person's way out. Rather than put in a little extra work so that other people can use whatever system they so choose, they just decide everyone else has to conform to what they decided is best, and that's whatever's the least amount of work for them.

Little tip... If you're going to do an analysis of a situation, it helps to consider the alternatives as well as drawbacks to your recommendation. It's part of being thorough. Of course, you need to know something about the alternatives first, wouldn't you say?

Collapse -
Thank you all for your considerable help

In reply to: Considered that, still doesn't make sense

Thank you all for providing insights and help. As you can see computers are not my domain. Thank you again and if there is anything anybody can add please, I would appreciate any help
chirag

Collapse -
careful with upgrade

In reply to: Thank you all for your considerable help

in my experience the so-called upgrade version does not always do the work. it is good over 98 or 2000 but not over XP-home. If you try it you may get stuck then have to do clean install and lose all your data. Get a retail version or an academic version, then it should work. This is my humble advice. Amos.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.