Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

How do I UPDATE my software program rather than download?

by salninertriplezero / July 5, 2010 7:01 AM PDT

Windows XP, SP2 using Google Chrome. Most of my software programs send a quick-launch icon to my taskbar, with a pop-up to "install or not" when there's a new update available. When I click on "Install Now" a rectangle immediately appears and shows that my existing program is automatically updated. The new version number is reflected on it's same desktop icon (I checked). A few programs send just a pop-up message without the task-bar icon that, when you click on the "Install Now" option, automatically open your browser and take you to their download site where you can click on "DOWNLOAD" for either their current free or pro versions, but it doesn't have any instruction on how to UPDATE your existing program. My Glary Utilities today presented a pop-up saying there is a newer version available, and I clicked on it's "OK TO INSTALL NOW" option. It automatically opened my Google Chrome browser and took me to it's official download location at CNET.com (great - It's been checked for malware!) but there's no place to click on UPDATE; only DOWNLOAD free version or pro version of Glary Utilities! There is no explanation of what to do for an update! What, am I supposed to uninstall Glary Utilities I already have first? If so, it should instruct to do that! What's the proper way, please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I UPDATE my software program rather than download?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I UPDATE my software program rather than download?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First of all.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2010 7:22 AM PDT

Personally I wouldn't touch a tool like Glary Utilities with a 10 ft barge pole. I do not like such optimisers and so-called registry cleaners for the potential they have to cause damage to the system.

But that said, it's your choice.

There is no simple answer to your question, and you have pointed out some of the ways this is done.

1] Installed software will tell you there is an updated version when you use that software.

2] Installed software sets a service or a process that 'continuously' checks on the internet for updated versions whether you use it or not, and pops-up a message above the Notification Area, (where the clock is).

3] Installed software is passive, and does nothing to tell you if an update is available.

4] When you are notified of an update, there are clear instructions on how to implement the update.

5] When you are notified of an update, and click, the software updates itself automatically.

6] When you are notified of an update, there are no instructions, or the instructions are vague and confusing.

7] Any combination of the above.

What to do? As the end users, we are wholly in the hands of the software developers, and that usually means we have to do some research if we are not sure.

What do the Glary Utilities web site say about updates? Do they have their own forums?

Sometimes we just have to jump in, and run that file.

Mark

Collapse -
Re:How do I UPDATE my software program rather than download?
by salninertriplezero / July 5, 2010 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: First of all.

Right, very true. Thanks. It will be interesting if no-one has a how to update explanation, though, because I know alot of people experience the same problem.

Collapse -
So,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2010 7:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
It varies widely...

In short, it's entirely up to the developer how he/she wants to implement update functionality. Some offer a built-in updater, which can download the update and replace the respective files without reinstalling the entire application. Others, though, are not quite as advanced, requiring you to download the latest version and install it in its entirety. The installer automatically replaces the application's files but leaves your settings intact, thus 'updating' your program. It usually means a larger download and a longer installation with more prompts/clicks, but a large percentage of programs still use that approach. As a general rule, if the program directs you a full download as the 'update,' there's no short cut offered.

Regards,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.