Computer Help forum

Question

How do I uninstall this program?

by jezebelscat / August 18, 2012 1:39 AM PDT

Okay so I installed Steam, a gaming program, to my external hard drive, but I afterwards tried to move it to my computer and now the program is broken. It won't let me uninstall, and it won't let me download it again. What can I do? My computer is a Dell Inspiron, I just got it a few days ago. It runs Windows 7, has an Intel core i3. I don't know if any of that makes a difference or not.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I uninstall this program?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I uninstall this program?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How did you try to move it?
by Steven Haninger / August 18, 2012 2:08 AM PDT

If you moved it just cutting and pasting to your primary drive, try moving it back the same way.

Collapse -
Moved
by jezebelscat / August 18, 2012 6:30 AM PDT

I moved it by cut and paste, yes, but I tried to just delete it off of my computer by putting it in the recycling bin and removing it from there too...

Collapse -
I'm not sure what your goal is
by Steven Haninger / August 18, 2012 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Moved

Do you want it gone or do you want it back. If gone and the recycling bin allowed you to empty the main program folder, the program will not function and is as good as gone. It will leave remnants in the Windows folders and entries in the registry but it's probably not going to affect your machines performance. Unfortunately, there won't be an easy way to get rid of what was left behind. When you cut and pasted the program folder to your main drive, Windows lost track of it. Registry entries identify where to find needed files and those are created during the installation. Installation log files are another means of tracking file locations. These are needed to uninstall a program. I think the cut and past has done you in. If you cannot reinstall the program, you cannot complete a full uninstall. If your PC still works, don't worry about it now. Sorry but can't help fix this one.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A few days old
by Bob__B / August 19, 2012 12:41 AM PDT

Restore to factory image.
How much can you lose?

In the future.......don't do that move stuff with progs.........notta wok.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?