General discussion

How do I turn off the stupid IE

Internet Bar that keeps popping up telling me that it's protecting me from 'active content'? As soon as I 'allow' it to stop blocking it, the rest of my webpage (the scripted menu frame) shows up when viewing it in the browser.....otherwise it doesn't show up at all. And I can't view it in the actual harddrive website because it gives me a message screen across the frame that 'your browser doesn't support scripts'........so I'm having difficulty linking the pages to it.

I've been all through the Security area, disabling and enabling everything to do with scripting and ActiveX controls and it still does as it pleases. I've used the instructions from the Information Bar, and that hasn't worked because they were already set at the settings it tells me to change them to.

I can't imagine it's my XP firewall since the website isn't even up on the net yet so I shouldn't have to give it permission, should I?

Getting really ticked off here.......

TONI

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How do I turn off the stupid IE
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I turn off the stupid IE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How do I turn off the stupid IE

Try this: While in IE go to
Tools, Internet Options, Advanced.
In the settings window, scroll down to Security
Check "Allow active content to run in files on my computer"

- Collapse -
You are an absolute genius

I was everywhere IN Security and never thought to look at ADVANCED/Security.........

I still can't get the menu to show up in my frame on my harddrive using my site builder program, but I'm sure it's a scripting error on my part and will work on that. At least I'm not getting that stupid warning anymore when I try to preview it in IE now.........thank you.

TONI

- Collapse -
Re: You are an absolute genius

Well Toni, I saw the question last (mine) night (it was late) and was curious who would give the correct answer, so I postponed the reply.

I have only one thing to add. Those check boxes are present under Service Pack 2. This particular change it?s stupid indeed because generally speaking, launching the file in My Computer zone should be safe. They think it?s not and that?s why the default value it?s for disallow (e.g. unchecked).

Regards,
Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

CNET Forums

Forum Info