Samsung forum

How do I turn my Samsung Galaxy S3 into a PDA

by syntax499 / September 8, 2014 3:43 PM PDT

I have a Dell51V Axim PDA which is inconvenient to carry around when I have a phone that should be able to do the same. (ie I sync the PDA with my PC through USB, using Outlook Calendar (with Alarms) and an extensively featured Name & Address), also a task list.

What app can I put on my phone & PC that has an extensively featured calendar, an extensively featured Name & address module & a Task module, that has no interaction with an internet connection, ie it needs to be independant only between my phone & PC, and if I change either the phone or PC the sync will update the other

The calendar app needs to have an alarm that can have any sound anywhere residing on the phone & the volume set at maximum phone level that the phone can achieve.

I find the apps supplied with the phone are useless & maufacturers should be more innovative in this field

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I turn my Samsung Galaxy S3 into a PDA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I turn my Samsung Galaxy S3 into a PDA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: apps
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 4:57 PM PDT

I find a few millions apps in the stores (iOS, Android, Windows, Blackberry) and most of them are not made by Apple, Google, Microsoft and Blackberry. It are commercial companies and programmers that make them. Quite innovative.
If none of them suits your need, start making the next one.

Collapse -
I can address part of why that is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

There are minefields that prevent such an app being standard on today's phones, tablets and such. I guess you need to know what those are so here it is -> Patents <-

Gone are the days where you could implement what you asked for without fear of ending up in court.

So the makers supply a platform and some run of the mill apps that you can replace as you see fit. Or write your own.

Collapse -
After much searching, this is the best I can come up with
by syntax499 / September 20, 2014 5:23 PM PDT

Thank you for your interest in AkrutoSync. Yes, AkrutoSync will sync the contacts, calendar tasks and notes into your phone. For contacts and calendar, you can view them on your phones native/pre-installed apps. To sync notes, and if your phone does not have a built-in task app, to sync tasks, you will need to install an app on your phone. You can choose from the list of apps that we have compiled. The apps on this list are all compatible to work with AkrutoSync:

Only the data that has been added/modified on your phone AFTER configuring AkrutoSync will be transferred to Outlook. On the other hand, all the data in Outlook will be copied to your phone/device on the first sync. Any changes to your phone contacts/calendar/tasks/notes after configuring AkrutoSync will be synced backed to Outlook, and vice versa.

If your phone already has contacts, events, etc, this means that you get duplicates. Everything that you have in Outlook (Contacts, Calendar/Schedule, Tasks and Notes) will be copied to your device. That is why we recommend clearing your phone, to avoid duplicates. If you want to keep a copy of your contacts/calendars on your phone, we recommend you export them by following our guide on our website here:

You can try out the software and see if it works for you before you actually purchase it. You can download the 7-day free trial here:

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?