Windows 8 forum

Resolved Question

How do I transfer stuff from Admin acct. to Guest Acct.?

by 2 Much Tech Stress / June 7, 2013 5:05 PM PDT

I'll try and keep this as short and concise: I've got Windows 8 on a new Toshiba Satellite S855. I didn't create a guest acct. after I got it back in March - as I remember, it seems like I had some issues creating it because of the stupid Msoft forcing me to join/create and acct. for their new setup or something. Anyways, so I just skipped it and been using the desktop on my admin acct. to do all my net browsing, email, etc. I put my wimpy little music collection and some movies on it from my last lapT, and then last week I bought and downloaded Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim from Gamestop/Bethesda/Steam and installed it. I've been playing catch up reading up on all the different things to do to make a more secure computer other than just letting MS essentials or AVG (on my last lapT) alone to do the work. I've got CCleaner and Malwarebytes on all the computers in the house and running MS essentials on my 8 & my old vista as well as my roomies running 7, but I'm not sure what all else I should install. Mainly though, I just want to know how to transfer things (For Dummies as I'm totally not very tech savvy) from an Admin acct. over to the Guest acct. on the same computer. I was thinking I'm sure there's some way to log into the guest, and then run admin in it and then transfer it over, but I haven't figured out how it's done yet. thanks for any and all help and sorry if I went on too long about it!

2 Much Tech Stress has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I transfer stuff from Admin acct. to Guest Acct.?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I transfer stuff from Admin acct. to Guest Acct.?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by 2 Much Tech Stress

Collapse -
There is always 2, never 1.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2013 12:35 AM PDT

" Make at least one other account with administrator rights and use that for changes in your system. "

Without a spare admin account, the issue of corrupt profiles could mean that you get to reload the OS when having a spare would have made a fix trivial.

Also, I rarely enable the Guest account. In fact I only do to test out issues with that account. Why use that and not a new account?
Bob

Collapse -
Got it. Makes sense.
by 2 Much Tech Stress / June 8, 2013 8:16 AM PDT

Yeah I see what you guys mean - that makes waaaay more sense having a second admin account so the main is less likely to get corrupted and you don't have issues with not having admin privileges like on a guest account...I don't know how the subject never came up in all these years and I'm just now gettin it lol. Well, that's one less thing on my computer security To-Do list - next up is the list of like 15 security related programs that one guy recommended that everybody have - I'll dig up the thread and post the link just in case anybody's curious, since it goes along with the whole improving security issue(s) I'm dealing with - I seriously couldn't believe the list of things was that long - I had no idea there was THAT much more that could/should be done to improve on. My jaw dropped lol. Anyways, thanks for the awesome quick reply and helping me feel a little less ignorant and a whole lot less daunted by it all. I was afraid I'd need therapy afterwards hahaa.

Take care and much Mahalo!

~A~

Collapse -
I fear
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2013 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it. Makes sense.

That you won't be visiting computer repair counters soon. Glad to read your reply as the technicians weep.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: transfer from admin acount to guest account
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 5:42 PM PDT

Login into the admin account, go into Windows Explorer/Compuer and copy (or move) those things from your folder in Users to the same place in the guest folder in Users.
Once logged in as a guest data from all other users are inaccessible.

But while admin is one extreme, guest is another extreme. The common thing to do is:
1. Don't use the system generated admin account in normal circumstances.
2. Make at least one other account with administrator rights and use that for changes in your system.
3. Make another account without administrative rights for your daily work. That's somewhat safer than doing it in an administrative account.
4. Use the guest account only for real guests.

Personally, I skipped step 3.

Kees

Collapse -
Ahh...
by 2 Much Tech Stress / June 8, 2013 6:55 AM PDT

Wow. I totally should've known just to drag and drop into the guest acct. - well, the daily use, "disposable" admin acct. so to speak - I landed a facepalm on that one lol. I'll just blame it on being new to Windows 8...*grin* Leave it to me to try and make things out to be more difficult than they are or need to be! Thanks for the help so quick on this one! Very cool. Take care!

~A~

Collapse -
apparently my secretary forgot to give me that memo..lol
by 2 Much Tech Stress / June 9, 2013 7:42 AM PDT

Now I'm left wondering how many other people like me don't know about setting up their computers like this. I have this bad feeling like I'm one of the few dopes that didn't because I was playin hooky that day. Like, nowadays kids are programming before high school and here I am in my 30's just trying to get my computer set up properly. *facepalm* ~lol~ Does the average/typical (for lack of better term) person these days know about this (not using the original admin, making a 2nd one with admin privileges, & a 3rd admin w/out for "daily use", and then a guest acct. if necessary/desired)? And I mean for home/personal use, not work or business. I mean, I've always been aware of businesses, schools, etc, setting them up like this but somehow never dawned it me to set my own pc up that way... how did i not get that memo?? lol

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!