Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How do I transfer my MP3s??

I just set up my wireless router not too long ago, and it's my first network, how do I transfer my MP3's and other files between my computers?? I have two wired desktops, one wireless desktop, and one wireless laptop, I'm transferring from the wireless desktop to the wireless notebook if that helps any. Any help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I transfer my MP3s??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I transfer my MP3s??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
file transfers

In reply to: How do I transfer my MP3s??

You didn't tell us your operating system, so we'll have to guess with generalities and you can research it from there. You have to enable file and print sharing in the operating system, ensure that workgroup names are set the same, and then set the appropriate drives/folders to shared. Finally, you need to manage any firewalls (including the native WindowXP one if so configured) to allow communications to pass. Then you just open My Network Place in a half screen window and My Computer in another half screen window, navigate to the appropriate locations in each window, and drag-n-drop from one to the other.

A separate recommendation for you... when you are knocking large files like that back and forth, get a network cable and wire the laptop to the router. Wireless is great, but when you have stuff going in several directions simultaneously (there is a lot of back and forth going on for simple file copying...) the transfer speeds take a serious hit. Shifting the laptop to a wired connection means only the remote desktop is using the limited wireless capacity. It will still be slow, but not as painfully slow.

dw

Collapse -
Windows XP

In reply to: file transfers

SP1 on the desktop and SP2 on the notebook

Can someone go into a little more detail on a couple of the steps **** was talking about..."You have to enable file and print sharing in the operating system" and "then set the appropriate drives/folder to shared"

Collapse -
So the question is ....

In reply to: Windows XP

how to connect to another PC or basically how to create a network... ((transferring files (any files) is just drag and drop from one place to another))

Can you access/see other pc/laptop in the network?

If not then you may check that you already have:

1. Use same workgroup name
2. turn on file and printer sharing
3. create a shared folder (or put the files that you want ot share in shared documents folder)
4. you may also need to turn off firewall or give access permission to share.

Collapse -
So the problem is...

In reply to: So the question is ....

Basically the internet network is set up I guess I should say, because all the computers access the internet. The only thing is,is that none of the computers actually communicate between each other. Basically I've been trying to link the wireless desktop and the notebook, but do I need to manually change the settings for the router itself.

1. I named both my workgroups (under "My Computer" property) the same thing.
2. I turned on file sharing through some wizard
3. I didn't see the same contents in the shared folder even when I definately made it so they could share
4. Maybe I need to disable the firewalls

Collapse -
Please help!

In reply to: How do I transfer my MP3s??

Okay, I've got it to where the folders I want to transfer have a hand holding them indicating that they are shared, so obviously my computer is recognizing the network, but even if I cut off both firewalls, I cannot see my desktops files on my notebook, such as the shared file, it is different on both computers.

Collapse -
shared drives, folders, and files.

In reply to: Please help!

You have found the shared folder. You have two choices - you can transfer the material to be shared from wherever else it is now into the shared folder, or you can set that other location as shared. Navigate to it in My Computer, right click on the folder name, and then click on sharing in the list menu. Respond appropriately to the dialog box and then click Apply. That folder should now be visible from elsewhere on the network.

dw

Collapse -
Almost there...

In reply to: shared drives, folders, and files.

I know it cannot possibly be this hard! Now I can view the workgroups on my desktop, the only files coming up unfortunately are the ones in desktop. When in "my network places" on my notebook I click "view workgroup computers" and it comes up with a window that has an "X" and says:

"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".

That's where I'm at right now!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) PLEASE HELP!! UGH!

In reply to: Almost there...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.