Hello, all. I am a first-time poster who is mildly tech savvy but admittedly not good enough to pull this one off. I need an external drive to hold my growing collection of family videos and pictures but am unsure how to stream them to my flat screen. Can I do so with what I have or do I need some other piece of equipment like a media ? Here's the contents of the system:
1. Motorola Surfboard SB6121 cable modem
2. Cisco EA4500 wireless router (wireless B/G/N); this has one free Ethernet port and I'm using the USB port to power a cooling pad
3. Samsung 55" class, model 610 flatscreen (hardwired to the router with an Ethernet cable)
4. LG BD670 Blu-Ray player (also hardwired to the router)
5. DirecTV GENIE DVR (also hardwired to the router) with three satellite boxes elsewhere in the house
6. HP Pavilion G series laptop running Windows 7 and using wireless
We are also have 3 Kindle Fire HDs, 2 smartphones, and a networked HP Inkjet printer.
I've looked at media players, NASs, desktop HDDs, and all sorts of other devices and it's to the point where I'm just confusing myself. In the end, I need more storage but think I should be able to use that extra capacity to its full potential by streaming from it. I'm sure there's a way to do it but for the life of me I don't know where to start. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly
Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?