Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

How do I stop word form importing a remote image

by TimRog / November 15, 2006 10:24 PM PST

Hi,

How do I stop word form importing an image that located on a remote server when I open an html newsletter for editing?

I want to be able to edit and forward (via send to) the newsletter without word importing the image and sending it as on as an attachment (I want to keep the image on the remote server).

I'm using Word 2002

Thanks,

TIm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I stop word form importing a remote image
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I stop word form importing a remote image
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: word image
by Kees Bakker / November 16, 2006 5:15 PM PST

Tim,

In fact, html-documents never CONTAIN images, once saved, but only a link. The program you use to VIEW it (be it a browser or an html-editor) finds it run-time from the source. So I don't expect a problem as long as you save the edited version again as html-file before sending it.

With Word-documents (.doc in stead of .htm) things might be different. But as you specifically mention an html-newsletter, that behavior isn't relevant.

Let me add that I find MS Word to be an inferior html-editor. This is not the place to recommend another one, but there are quite a few, some if them free and still good. It seems you've chosen the wrong tool for your purpose (like in "I find it difficult to turn this screw in using my hammer or saw" or "I can't use SQL in MS Word".

Kees

Collapse -
Re: word image
by TimRog / November 17, 2006 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: Re: word image

Thanks Kees,

I should add that the original html file is created in Dreamweaver, with links to images placed on a remote server, and saved as an html file before being 'imported' into Word. You see, the client wants a set of templates that he can send to his offices who in turn will edit and send on to their clients. The only way these offices have to edit these templates is by opening them in Word - not my preferred choice, but unfortunately it is the only option until they get a facility to send html newsletters from within a dedicated system.

The problem is we are finding is that once the template is opened in word, edited and sent on the recipient receives the image as an email attachment rather than than a remote image, viewed on my test server - so somewhere in the process the remote image seems to be imported and embedded in Word document. I wondered if there was a simple way to stop word from doing this. However, we work with Mac OSX and have access to Word 2004 which dosn't suffer this problem, the client and end users have PC's which do.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,

Tim

Collapse -
Re: embedded picture
by Kees Bakker / November 17, 2006 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Re: word image

I'd say that if the edited template is saved from Word as an html-file, it surely doesn't contain the image (because html-files by definition don't). Easy to check what happens what the exact contents is (open it in Notepad). And just as easy to check if it still works (open it in a browser).

To me, this is a question of giving them the right instructions. Or the right software, of course. The combination MS Word and no instructions seems to be a somewhat wrong choice. It can be done better.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: embedded picture
by TimRog / November 18, 2006 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: embedded picture

Thanks again Kees,

The point of the question is to provide them with adequate instruction (i.e. you need to go into Word prefs and turn off 'X' ). As this is a temporary measure, a CMS with the ability to send customised messages will be with them by summer 2007, the point of the exercise it to provide them with a simple solution as a stop-gap. I know that a html file doesn't contain images, as I mentioned the image is on our test server, however, I can only repeat what I have said already, when the document is sent from within word the remote image is discarded and the document downloads and uses an embedded/imported/downloaded version of the image, (which is included in the email as an attachment) in its place (yep, an investigation of the exported code confirms this).

I was hoping that you or someone would tell me there was a option in Word preference somewhere but it now appears to be more complicated than that.

Tim

Collapse -
Just my thought and what I have to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2006 1:57 AM PST

If I want to have the image local I have to save it local and import it to the word doc. I don't see a Word option to make these images local by default.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: embedded image
by Kees Bakker / November 18, 2006 5:37 AM PST

So sending from MS Word goes wrong.

Try: save it as html-file. Open in Notepad. Edit link if necessary (although I doubt if it is}. Copy to clipboard. Start Outlook or Outlook Express. Set it to send an html-message. Paste. Send.

At which point does it go wrong if you follow this instruction?

Or send html-file as attachment (the html-version with the link).

Or learn them to use Dreamweaver or NVU or Notepad or one of the myriad other html-editors for their customization.

The requirement "They have to use Word 2003 and nothing else and they should send from within Word 2003" seems to be a rather unlucky one.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: embedded image (addition)
by Kees Bakker / November 18, 2006 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Re: embedded image

Tim,

My copy/paste advice was certainly wrong. So I thought about your problem a little bit more.

This is a 2-part problem.
1. Create the html-message.
2. Send it.

#1.
You didn't make clear yet if Word can be used as an html-editor in this case. All you told is that it can't be used to send the email, because it inserts the picture then. But not sure about what happens if you don't safe it as .doc but as .html, as it was opened from. We agree the html-file won't include the image, so - most likely to me - it will contain the original hyperlink. As I said, it's easy to try.

If Word is really unusable (I don't see why, but I didn't try) another html-editor must be used. There are plenty, and it isn't really unexplainable that if they need to edit their html-message they need an html-editor. If they need to edit a spreadsheet they need a spreadsheet editor (like Excel), and if they want to edit a picture, they need a picture editor (like Photoshop). I never heard complaints about Word not being able to remove red eyes, to name an example. So what's the fuss about these images?

#2.
Once you've got the html-file on the hard disk you can use MS Outlook to send it as an hmtl-message to the right contacts. Several methods are outlined in http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/html.htm and surely one of them should work.

If their contacts aren't in their Outlook address book, but in some CRM-application, it might be a good idea to use that for the sending part of the operation. At my Work, we have SAP ERP-system, and use ABAP-programs (their programming language) to send individual emails to individual customers. But I would be amazed if SAP CRM didn't contain select-and-mail functionality for bulk mails.

It might be nice if they have a CMS, for either #1 or #1 and #2 combined (although it are clearly separate functions), so they can easily make their own contents in stead of only making minor changes in content produced centrally. But just as well (depending on the circumstances you don't tell about) that's a bad idea. Not for me to have an opinion on.

I really hope you've got enough information now to write your detailed instructions, after some experimenting. Maybe post it here as useful information for other members?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?