Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

how do I stip itunes drm?

I just bought an album off itunes, first time in like 3 years. I tried ripping the album to both an mp3 and regular audio cd, and I get this error message:

"itunes store files can not be burned to an mp3 cd"

I know everything that I need to know about DRM. But I also know that there are ways around it. What are my options? At worst, does anyone know of software that will capture the audio as it is playing? Using windows, thanks a ton for the help! Brian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do I stip itunes drm?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do I stip itunes drm?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: iTunes

In reply to: how do I stip itunes drm?

First burn to audio cd. Then rip that cd to mp3.

Kees

Collapse -
nope

In reply to: Re: iTunes

For some reason, it won't let me rip to a cd.. because of the drm.

Collapse -
Never heard of a "rip to a cd"

In reply to: nope

I've burned audio CDs with itunes but never found a rip to cd option.

Collapse -
yep

In reply to: Never heard of a "rip to a cd"

if you add a bunch of songs to a playlist, then right click the playlist, you can rip the music, if there isn't drm. for some reason, only if it's in a playlist.. so it looks like i'll have to find some audio capture software. anyone know of any? gracias

Collapse -
don't see anything about ripping...

In reply to: yep

When I right click on playlist. Choices are: export song list, burn playlist to disc, and copy to play order. Anyway, you should be able to burn purchased (and drm'ed) music to audio disc - wav files, not mp3. iTunes Plus (undrm'ed) can be burned as mp3 tracks. You can use a CD-RW and once burned you can take that disc and rip the music back onto your computer.

Collapse -
(NT) That's what I see too!

In reply to: don't see anything about ripping...

Collapse -
hahaha

In reply to: That's what I see too!

wow, I meant burn the whole time, just mixed them up.. Oop! Anyways, yes, when I try to burn the playlist to a cd, it doesn't let me! No matter what burning option I choose! So I think that I need to find audio capturing software, unless someone knows a trick around itunes or something. Thanks, Brian

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.