HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

Question

How do I solve a PowerPoint cmd issue?

by Vortex104 / October 13, 2013 11:45 PM PDT

So my school is running two TV screens in the main hallway, running PowerPoints that give general news updates to the school. However, around every half hour, a cmd prompt comes up. It says something to the extent of accessing a restartlog on the computer and being denied access. The computer account has admin privileges, so that isn't the problem. Can anyone tell me what the message means and how to stop it from interrupting the PowerPoint slide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I solve a PowerPoint cmd issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I solve a PowerPoint cmd issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: message
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 13, 2013 11:49 PM PDT

I don't think it's a Powerpoint issue.

It seems like a rather regular Windows 7 message. If you can provide the full and litteral text (without typos please, so we can google it; it's a great idea if you google it yourself first to test), we might be able to tell you where it comes from and what to do about it.

Why run such a powerpoint in an account that has administrative capabilities? Doesn't seem necessary and then it's safer to do it in a limited account.

Kees

Collapse -
Windows Message
by Vortex104 / October 14, 2013 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: message

I didn't set up the account itself, the computer is in the administrative office. Anyways, here's the message:

C:\Program Files\Z-Cron>rem @echo off

C:\Program Files\Z-Cron>set dirtocheck=H:\right

C:\Program Files\Z-Cron>set logdir=C:\users\rhstv\logs

C:\Program Files\Z-Cron>echo Mon 18/14/2013 10:05:00.29 1>"C:users\rshtv\logs\lastfilecheck.log"
Access is denied.

C:\Program Files\Z-Cron>dir "H:\right" 1>>"C:users\rshtv\logs\lastfilecheck.log"
Access is denied.

C:\Program Files\Z-Cron>if exist "H:\right\restart.*" goto letsrestart

C:\Program Files\Z-Cron>echo Mon 18/14/2013 10:05:00.29 - no restart files found
Access is denied.

C:\Program Files\Z-Cron>ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 30000 1>NUL

Apparently the computer is using some system called Z-Chron to keep the program running, and it does restart checks every five minutes. Don't know how to either cancel that or make sure it has the files it needs. Pretty sure that what this prompt is, it either can't access the files or doesn't have them.

Collapse -
Re: message
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 14, 2013 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Message

That seems like a batch file run by task scheduler. Now ask the system manager/IT guy responsible for this PC to do something about it.

Kees

Collapse -
by Vortex104 / October 14, 2013 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: message

I fixed the problem, switched the owner account to the administrator, gave the system access to the restart logs. It works now. Thanks for the clarification on the batch file.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2013 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Message

Yes, when I read the batch I immediately thought permissions and account issues.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.