Storage forum

General discussion

How do I set up my external for use with 2 computers?

by EGLCNET / October 18, 2007 12:54 AM PDT

Here's the scenario:

I have 2 homes (1500 miles apart).

I do NOT want to use cloning software to update my internal hds for the following reason - security. I do not want to leave my machine (with all my personal and financial data on the hd) in an unoccupied house, I realize that I could use a powerful erasing program, but I would rather just not have the data on the drives at all.

Ideally, I would like to just have an internal hard drive in each machine that will contain Windows so I can have boot, have access to the internet, and all my programs all the time. Then have an external drive which holds all my files.

Here's my main question, although if there is something else that is wrong with my plan, please let me know.

If I use an external (USB 2.0) to access my files will things work fast enough AND reliably?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I set up my external for use with 2 computers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I set up my external for use with 2 computers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: external drive
by Kees Bakker / October 18, 2007 1:03 AM PDT

In principle: yes.

But:
- you can't reassign the My Documents folder to an external drive, I think, so you must take care to use other folders than that for everything
- Outlook Express might not like it either to have it's .dbx files on a removable disk
- backup is ESSENTIAL in such a scheme. Have a second external drive in both houses - that makes three in total - and be sure to copy the contents of your standard one to the backup one before you leave (and store it safely). Copying changed contents only (note the archive bit in the file properties) is sufficient (and necessary!)
- cookies (like the one containing your password to this forum) are located on the c:-drive and so are a lot of settings and (for example) your Word dictionary's. In fact, everything that's put in your Documents and Settings folder automatically.

The alternative might be to use a laptop in stead of 2 desktops and transport that between the two locations. The same story, of course, for the backup!

Kees

Collapse -
RE:External Drive
by EGLCNET / October 18, 2007 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: external drive

Thanks for helping me out with this.

I had forgotten about the MY Documents Folder. I remember many years ago trying to "backup" that all-important folder and finding out that it couldn't be done. You just saved me alot of time.

I guess I need to re-organize things back to the way I used to have them before I just decided to just let windows do it. Hope the settings don't do me in!!!

Of course, you're right about backing up.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Collapse -
On a related note
by EGLCNET / October 18, 2007 1:22 AM PDT

Original Poster again:

Do any of you have opinions on using a 2.5 external to run our desktops 24/7 (or at least 12/7)?

If I have a choice, I would love to be able to use my external with my laptop when I travel. Then I would also be able to connect to hotel networks for internet access without having my personal files "onboard"

What do you think? Any recommendations in terms of hardware?

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.