Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How do I set up IE for Yahoo Mail?

by jimsail / August 16, 2006 8:05 AM PDT

I have three computers and one of the three gives me the option, in Internet Options > Programs > Email to select Yahoo Mail, and several other ISP email but the other two computers only give the option for Outlook Express and MSM.
One of the computers does not even have a Mail icon in Control Panel to set up any other email option.
How do I get the Mail icon in Control Panel or change email setting to Yahoo Mail in Internet Options?
Can I download and load Internet Explorer to possibly fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I set up IE for Yahoo Mail?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I set up IE for Yahoo Mail?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only if Yahoo premium...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2006 8:15 AM PDT

OE requires us to have the premium pop3/smtp access while IE required NO configuration at all.

If you meant how to configure IE to open the MAILTO tag to send email to Yahoo, again that requires pop3/smtp access (premium.)

Some tried Hotmail and Yahoo email poppers, but that is beyond the range of what I'll discuss.

Collapse -
Here's how...
by John.Wilkinson / August 16, 2006 10:23 AM PDT

Yahoo used to have a download available through their help site which enabled you to set the default e-mail 'program' to Yahoo Mail. With that, every time you clicked on an e-mail address it took you to Yahoo's web-based e-mail service. However, sometime last month Yahoo removed the download from their help site and had the URL redirect all users to the mail help page.

Not to worry, can still download the ActiveX control through Yahoo UK...just click here. It is not country-specific, so it will work for your US or other Yahoo Mail account. Gotta love how they intended to do away with it but overlooked the copy on their British sister site. Happy

Hope this helps,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?