Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do I set 2 ports to allow outgoing traffic?

I want to use a voice chat room to talk with family. I will need to set two ports to allow outgoing traffic for the service to connect. I do not know how or where to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Currently all ports are closed and/or stealthed for security purposes. (except necessary ports) Everything thing else is set to "prompt" before allowing traffic.

Win 2000 Pro
AVG, Zone Alarm Pro, Spyware Guard, Spyware Buster, SpyBot S@D, and using configurable Fire Wall on ADSL modem.

I could not find anywhere in modem software to access these ports to change settings for them specifically. Where else should I look to make the necessary setting adjustments? I do have the port numbers I need to change per the chat server help.

Many thanks,
Ken

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I set 2 ports to allow outgoing traffic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I set 2 ports to allow outgoing traffic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not the modem. . .

In reply to: How do I set 2 ports to allow outgoing traffic?

Search ZA for the ports.

Collapse -
Ken, Have You Disabled ZoneAlarm...?

In reply to: How do I set 2 ports to allow outgoing traffic?

The DSL NAT firewall shouldn't block the outgoing packets but ZoneAlarm will. If there is a specific program that needs access, then ZA can easily be configured to allow the program through it's firewall. ZA identifies it as "program control".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Will try ZA "however"?

In reply to: Ken, Have You Disabled ZoneAlarm...?

Ok thanks. I will play around with Zone Alarm. However just FYI I briefly turned off the firewall in my modem and was able to connect to the chat server ok. I exited the chat and turned my modem firewall back on and got a error mesg. from the chat host "cannot connect to server".

I will try the ZA settings now.

Thanks again,
Ken

Collapse -
ok..hmmm

In reply to: Ken, Have You Disabled ZoneAlarm...?

First I set Zone Alarm to prompt or ask so as to allow the chat server to connect. No luck!
Second I turned Zone Alarm off and tried to connect to chat server...No luck!
Third I turned off modem firewall (and turned on Zone Alarm) again and connected no problem..???
Yet modem firewall config. options appear to have no setting to allow chat server..??

Seems if I want to chat I will have to turn off modem fire wall and rely on Zone Alarm! ?

Thanks again,
Ken

Collapse -
Ken, Looks Like You've Identified the Problem...Now...

In reply to: ok..hmmm

...you'll need to allow the correct port through your modem's firewall. Usually, the modem has a manual which gives instructions for allowing specific ports...Or maybe the modem manufacturer's site will have Q&A about it. Normally, there should be sufficient info to get 'r done.

Which modem and model number are you using?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
modem info

In reply to: Ken, Looks Like You've Identified the Problem...Now...

It is a Westell #2200 (A90-220015-04)

I have the two port #'s needed by the chat server. Server says I need to set to allow outgoing traffic.

Thanks,
Ken

Collapse -
Ken, Westell Has A Site...

In reply to: modem info

...and it includes the information about your modem.CLICK HERE One problem, your specific model number is discontinued and it indicates you should contact your ISP for configuration information. But there is a fairly decent FAQ section for a different model of the 2200 model.

Have you contacted your ISP about the modem?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Westell and ISP

In reply to: Ken, Westell Has A Site...

Thanks Grif!

Westell says they do not offer tech support for end users and my ISP says "sorry we are not trained for that"! lol

I will play around on Westell's site again and see what I can find.

Ken

Collapse -
If you don't have one you can ...

In reply to: modem info

download the user manual in PDF format here http://www.westell.com/pages/model2200/userguide/userguide.jsp and Firewall settings start on page 81

When you get into them you can access the help screens to manage a custom configuration although since you are also using Zone Alarm you could avoid editing configurations by setting it to LOW on the 2200.

If you already have the manual and haven't read it do Read The Fine Manual.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!