Question

How do I retrieve an overridden winzip file?

I have an Excel file I opened through winzip, edited and saved. When I tried to open it again through the winzip file, it said something about being overridden by the archived file. Is there a way I can get back to the one with all my new, edited information on it?
HELP!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How do I retrieve an overridden winzip file?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I retrieve an overridden winzip file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell us more

What's the exact error message?

When you see that message, what options are you given? Can you "Continue"?

This is why I never open and edit files from a Zip program without saving the file to some other location first, then re-zipping.

Mark

- Collapse -
the file already exists...

do you want windows to override it to open the archived file?
Yes, No, Cancel

I hit YES without thinking about it...so I know the file was overridden. But, everyone always says there is a trace of everything left on the computer. So, is there a way to find the file that was overridden?
BTW, I did exactly what you said with the next winzip file that I opened. Still, I want to get my old work back if possible.

- Collapse -
Unless you are unlucky and turned off Excal's backup copy

Search the drive for .BAK files with the same name.

Copy it to someplace safe and rename to .xls or .xlsx (depends on the E#Cel version.
Bob

CNET Forums