How To forum

Question

How do I repair Windows Explorer on an XP OS

by ddetective1701 / July 5, 2011 2:39 AM PDT

I try to right click a desktop or folder icon and get a message that Explorer has encountered an error and must close, at which time my desktop blanks all icons, refreshes and all seems normal. Internet Explorer works, but file viewer does not allow JPEG, BMP or GIF files to be edited. I get the same message as above. I have re-installed IE, upgraded to IE8 and neither selection has affected the outcome. Is there an option other than re-installing Windows. System Restore doesn't solve the problem, it hung up for well over 12 hours and I was forced to restart the computer in safe mode (hoping SR would work, which it didn't.) I have the disks that came with the computer but am hesisitant to use them again, it wiped out all bookmarks, data and favorites. (I can't move them because I have no working right-click options due to the above error.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I repair Windows Explorer on an XP OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I repair Windows Explorer on an XP OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You can't fix that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 2:44 AM PDT

But you could remove items from the right click menu that causes the crash.

Again, Explorer is something unfixable as we have no access to source code. But my bet is your question is not what you are asking for help with.

Here's a link about the context editors -> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm HINT: GO GET THAT TOOL.

As to the missing CD that's going to be fatal so be sure to find that CD.
Bob

Collapse -
by ddetective1701 / July 5, 2011 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't fix that.

I have the disk, I really don't want to have to use it again because I lost data, bookmarks and folders. I have done backups on the system but can't acccess the backups either. So, I have to re-install Windows again, correct?

Here is the info on my system:

MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM 1.0GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard Dell Computer Corp. 0C2425 (Microprocessor)
Graphics DELL E773c @ 1024x768
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Hard Drives
78GB IC35L090AVV207-0 (PATA) 100MB IMG VP0 (SCSI)
Optical Drives
CDWRITER IDE5224 USB Device
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

This info may not offer any solutions.

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 9:59 AM PDT

Why would we not backup again if the current backups are no good?

Why would we not put files on DROPBOX, iCloud, Google Docs and other places if we ran out of space?

And Why doesn't fixing the context menu help?
Bob

Collapse -
by ddetective1701 / July 11, 2011 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

I can't access the right-click at all. When I right-click, the system shuts down. Disabling or removing items will solve nothing. I'm sure re-installiing the OS is my only option, even though it's fatal! I found I have most of my 6 month-old backup files on an external drive I can use if I get the system running properly. It won't be a total loss at least. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Disabling or removing items will solve nothing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2011 1:12 AM PDT

I didn't read where you removed them. Also the 6 month old backup files are backups unless they are the last and sole copies which means they are not backups!

I've fixed the right click crash too many times with that tool (ShellMenuView) which is FREE and found at:
http://download.cnet.com/ShellMenuView/3000-2072_4-77192.html

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?