Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

How do I remove subscription music easily?

by leganx / February 20, 2008 7:50 AM PST

Hi all:

I stopped subscribing to Napster music service, now I want an easy way to remove all that music that is taking up space and annoying the Windows player with asking me to log back to napster.

I use Windows Media Player 11. I was able to sort music as DRM free or not. But, unfortunately it does not discriminated between DRM of subscription and bought tracks.

Anybody have any suggestion, or must I delete track by track.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I remove subscription music easily?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I remove subscription music easily?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sort by "Online Store"
by ChoppinBroccoli / February 28, 2008 10:30 PM PST

I'm not a Napster subscriber, but I'm a YMU (soon to be Rhapsody) member. I have bought tracks from various online stores. I'll try to help.

I sometimes use the tool in WMP11 to sort my library by online store. If you purchased tracks from Napster, this may not help because your sub tracks and purchased tracks will be lumped together.

Secondly, can you still long in to Napster even without paying? Most of the sub services keep your membership info and library intact, you just can't play the sub tunes. Then while logged in, you could sort by "file type" and delete the sub tracks from within Napster?

Finally, I have found that purchased tracks and sub tracks have different numbering systems in their file names. For instance, my sub tracks from Yahoo have a "-0" after the track number, while purchased tracks have a "-2". So if you add the file name column to your library view, look at Napster tracks from step one, then you could go through the tracks that way.

Sorry if this wasn't helpful, I can only picture how I would do it based on my experience with YMU.

Collapse -
Re: sorting between purchased/rented tracks
by fondy / March 1, 2008 12:47 AM PST

Have you tried dragging all of the suspect tracks into the 'Now Playing' list in WMP11?

If the subscriptions have expired then the tracks should be unplayable. Usually when WMP11 gets to a track in 'Now Playing' that is unplayable, that particular item in the playlist will change color or display an X. The purchased tracks should play fine.

Once you've figured out which tracks in the playlist are purchased, you can right-click their names and select "file location" or similar to find them on your computer.

IIRC, Napster is integrated into WMP11, so hopefully it won't pop up one of those annoying log-in screens every time you try to play a subscription track. If it does, perhaps it will give you the option of logging in without actually taking you to the service page.

If the above doesn't work, you might also try dragging tracks into the 'Burn' list in WMP11, it should tell you if one of the tracks you dragged into the burn list is 'un-burnable' (aka subscription).

Collapse -
How to Remove Digital Rights Management
by ciggieoxo / April 3, 2008 7:58 AM PDT

Try using Soundtaxi (Windows). It is a relatively fast and quite solid application to Remove Digital Rights Management. Worth every penny. Details can be found at

www.soundtaxi.info

If the above URL is not working for you just Google "soundtaxi"or the best way is to do a search within c|net There is a Free Trial. Now if they could only make one for the Mac I'd be all set.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!