Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do I remove old Restore Points?

I create a new Restore Point each month as I start my monthly maintenance sequence and also SpyBot seems to create one. I see by the Restore Point calendar that there seems to be a Restore Point for each day in October. I'm curious as to what process is creating these Restore Points but mainly I'm wondering how to delete some (most) of them. Aren't they consuming a humongous ammount of disk space?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I remove old Restore Points?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I remove old Restore Points?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not easy, but you can reduce them to just one.

In reply to: How do I remove old Restore Points?

If a Restore Point is being created every day, then that points to something like some updating service creating them before an update, or possibly something like a malware scanner creating a restore point when it scans and finds any malware. Windows Defender can do this.

Removing individual restore points is tricky. Your choice is either;

1] Remove all but the latest restore point, or

2] Remove all restore points, (then create your own restore point afterwards).

Remove all but the latest restore point.

XP has a utility called Disk Cleanup, (Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup). Open that. If you have more than one hard drive, select the C drive. The utility will check for compressed files, which may take a few minutes. When done, it will present a list of all temporary files that can be deleted. There is another tab, More Options, so click that, and you will see the option to "Remove all but the latest Restore point". Select that, then continue.

Remove all restore points

Right click your My Computer icon and select Properties. In the new window, select the System Restore tab then select the "Turn off System Restore" option. Click OK and respond to any prompts. That deletes all System Restore Points. As soon as that is done, de-select that "Turn off System Restore", and click OK.

Then create your own System Restore Point the way you normally do it.

Yes, they do take a lot of hard disk space.

Mark

Collapse -
Deleting Restore Points

In reply to: Not easy, but you can reduce them to just one.

Most helpful Mark...thanks very much

Collapse -
How it works . . .

In reply to: How do I remove old Restore Points?

By design, XP creates a new restore point under certain conditions:

1. Every 24 machine hours. If the PC is on 24/7 you'll get a restore point every day or so. If it's on 8 hours a day you'll get a new restore point every three or so days. These will be called "System Checkpoint".

2. After Microsoft updates. These will be called "Software Distribution Service".

3. After some programs are installed. These will be called "Installed xxxx program".

4. SpyBot and other anti-malware/spyware programs will create a restore point if they do any registry editing. "These will be called "xxx Update".

Collapse -
Restore Points

In reply to: How it works . . .

Coryphaeus...

Thanks for the additional info...quite informative...explains the many, many Restore Points in my system, since I do leave it on 24/7

Collapse -
Ahh. I had forgotten about the 24/7 issue.

In reply to: Restore Points

Yep, that would explain the daily backup points.

Mark

Collapse -
Create a restorepoint AFTER the damage is done?

In reply to: How it works . . .

Points 2 and 3...

Wouldn't it be infinitely more valuable to create a restorepoint BEFORE updating windows... and BEFORE installing new software?

Collapse -
2 years later.

In reply to: Create a restorepoint AFTER the damage is done?

Please start a new discussion as the OP has moved on by now.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.