General discussion

How do I remove a System Volume Information folder leftover

When I first bought my 1TB Iomega Network Drive, I tried to do a copy or clone or something of my entire hard-drive. It didn't work out well, because I was doing it wirelessly and about half-way through every time, it crashed. I could never get it to finish. I went through and tried to delete all the files in the folder I saved them into (called backups) and was able to delete nearly everything (somethings I had to right-click and go to properties and uncheck "Read-Only" to make it go away) but for some reason I cannot get rid of the folder leftover called "System Volume Information." I tried unchecking "Read-Only," but it doesn't seem to help. I tried also using a program that allows you to "Take Ownership," but that doesn't help either.

does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How do I remove a System Volume Information folder leftover
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I remove a System Volume Information folder leftover
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: system volume information

That folder has some very special protection. Use icacls to grant yourself access.
http://itsvista.com/2007/03/icacls/ is a reference. You'll find others by googling VISTA ICACLS

Kees

- Collapse -
granting permission on a network drive

what one of those lines would i use to grant permission?
if it is on a network drive...

- Collapse -
Re: grant permission

I'd use the one that has "grant" in it.

Note that name is the name of the folder. All (DOS) conventions about paths (such as relative or absolute) apply. Note that if the folder name contains spaces it should be inside quotes ("System Volume Information"). Assuming the drive letter is f:, the command would start with
icacls "e:\system volume information"
and then continue with the right options

Kees

- Collapse -
figuring this out
I am in command prompt.

I am at the root of the back up drive which is designated as Drive X:
So I am at X:\>

it says name [/grant[rHappy Sid:perm[...]]

if my folder is called:

System Volume Information

do i type
X:\> System Volume Information [/grant[rHappy Sid:perm[...]]

or how does this work??
- Collapse -
a basic delete

I tried a basic delete by typing

del System Volume Information
and it says Could Not Find X:\System

I did the same command on a bmp image of the iomega drive and it vanished
it's like it's not seeing it.

- Collapse -
I think you forgot to put quote marks on that.

This command line parses the input. That space is not part of the file or folder name so I'll guess you didn't take the short course on command line use.

Hint: Quote the folder name.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info