Question

How do I reinstall windows 2000(all versions) after...

How do I reinstall windows 2000(all versions) after having Windows 7 installed.

Before installing Windows 7, I could reinstall Windows 2000 any time with a little problem. But now, it seems to be impossible to do it any more.

The error message is something like that -- the file system cannot be recognized.(I forgot the exact words)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How do I reinstall windows 2000(all versions) after...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I reinstall windows 2000(all versions) after...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
"after"

The installer and boot manager in Windows 2000 has some severe limitations. That is why I find most can't install Windows 2000 today. And I didn't include "after."

My answer is this. It's today's hard drive sizes, connections and the old 2000 installer.

No fix or patch has been offered or made.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
RE: How do I reinstall windows 2000(all versions) after...

The best way to do this is to use a Windows 98 boot disk, go into FDISK, delete the NTFS partition, create a FAT32 partition, format it as FAT32 (format c:), and then boot off of the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.

Simply formatting with the Windows 2000 CD does not completely erase all data. I know this because at startup after formatting it still shows the old boot menu choices even AFTER you have formatted the hard drive.

CNET Forums