Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

How do I reinstall a printer installed with Windows Update?

by shriba / September 8, 2012 8:00 AM PDT

I just went from XP to a new Dell Windows 7. I have a multi-function printer that used CD drivers on XP, but with Windows 7, I had to install the printer with Windows Update and a scan utility from the manufacturer's web site. All of a sudden after a month, I can't scan, so I want to uninstall & reinstall the printer. How do I do this when it was installed with Windows Update? I see a list of drivers in the DriverStore/FileRepository folder. Do I delete those so Windows Update can reinstall them, or were they already there when I bought the computer?

shriba has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I reinstall a printer installed with Windows Update?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I reinstall a printer installed with Windows Update?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by shriba

Collapse -
Would an Iobit's Smart Scan jack up my settings??
by shriba / September 8, 2012 10:21 AM PDT

I just downloaded it after reading some reviews, but now it looks like it might mimic malware and could have jacked up my scanner settings...

Collapse -
Uninstall Smart Scan AND The Printer
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 8:49 AM PDT

The Smart Scan software will frequently remove "needed" items and will cause more problems than it fixes.. We don't advise using such registry cleaner/optimizers for just such a reason. If it has the ability to "undo" any changes it made, do so.....Then remove it from the computer.

In addition, generally, using Windows Update drivers is a bad idea. Using the critical Windows Updates is a good thing, but since Microsoft didn't create the drivers for your scanner/printer, why download them from Microsoft. Instead, visit the scanner/printer's website and download the full installation package for the device.. The manufacturer's website should have the newest "full" installation package to run the scanner/printer..

After downloading such, uninstall the printer from the Printer/Faxes folder and also uninstall any associated software using the Control Panel.. Once that's done, follow the scanner/printer manufacturer's instructions for installing the printer using the downloaded software.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Uninstall Smart Scan AND The Printer
by shriba / September 10, 2012 10:54 AM PDT

Thank you for your reply, Grif.

I installed SmartScan primarily after reading the c/net review. I should have read more!

Window Update drivers are the only resource for my printer, there are no manufacturer's drivers anymore. I tried the 64-bit vista drivers, logical right? But,they wouldn't even complete the install, in fact Windows took over and installed it again. For a couple of days solid I kept checking the scan function, and all of a sudden, it was available again. The scan utility gave it full function (scanning legal, l lot of people have had that issue).

So, no more DumbScan ... if you don't know what it's scanning, it isn't so smart!

Besides that, Iobit installed a toolbar, I may have OK'd it as part of the "security." So, they took the liberty of hijacking my searches with Yahoo! - sans my authorization. Iobit = malware in my book.

Collapse -
Answer
PS. If you ever need to get the scanner working.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 11:00 AM PDT

Check the supported models at http://www.hamrick.com/

I didn't find the printer in your posts so I could not check into alternatives.
Bob

Collapse -
It's a Brother MFC 8440
by shriba / September 10, 2012 12:41 PM PDT

Thanks for the link. I found a site that said they had drivers, but I didn't want to pay for a "maybe." I even spoke with Brother support via email, and they said there were no drivers for this model anymore. There are links for Windows 7 for this model, but they're not drivers, they're utilities that don't affect print & scan functions. I couldn't even find the scan utility on their site I needed to scan in legal, I got the link from someone on another forum. brother was totally useless, I guess they're hoping we all just buy new machines. I have no reason to update mine, it's truly great, but I will buy another Brother when if finally does conk out (it's laser, scan, copy, flatbed, cheap toner ...).

I got it to work using Windows Update drivers, and the scan utility. It works beautifully once again. But, I did bookmark the VueScan site, just in case, although I'm not sure it would have worked anyeway. I couldn't reach my scanner, using either Windows Fax & Scan or my preferred software, PDF XChange Viewer. This software is awesome for so many things I do.

Collapse -
I just read VueScan Features ....
by shriba / September 10, 2012 12:43 PM PDT

I will definitely try this if it happens again, in fact, I'll try it first!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.