Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

How do I reformat a LaCie external HD for Vista?

by yiwakawa / March 22, 2007 4:36 PM PDT

Hi I wanted to know what the best way to reformat a LaCie HD from a Mac format to a Windows Vista format is? I have the LaCie big disk 500GB with firewire and USB.
I'm using a format program on my Mac thats making the LaCie into a MS-DOS file system. Will this work or do I need to try something new?

Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
i have a suggestion
by denni0302 / March 22, 2007 8:55 PM PDT

im not quite sure this would work, but with my hdd [just a normal sata hdd] i go into cmd type convert [drive letter]:/FS:NTFS then if it says Convert cannot gain exclusive access to the drive_letter:, so it cannot convert it now. Would you like to schedule it to be converted the next time the system restarts (Y/N)? press y then restart your computer and then it should be done. may go through a screen before the welcome screen

Collapse -
Got it to work.
by yiwakawa / March 23, 2007 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: i have a suggestion

OK the format that the iMac made on the LaCie worked with Vista, but when I right clicked on the LaCie Vista had a option to reformat the LaCie to the NTFS file system. I looked on the Microsoft's web site and they talked about how NTFS works with Vista, but don't work with earlier Microsoft OS? Since I'm only going to use Vista I think having a NTFS systems is not a bad deal with it's better reliability and stuff.

Again thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Yep, basically MS-DOS got put ot bed
by Ray Harinec / March 23, 2007 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it to work.

with XP. XP could use either FAT 32 or NTFS, however FAT 32 cannot read NTFS, but NTFS can read FAT 32 with no problems.

Collapse -
Great got it!
by yiwakawa / March 23, 2007 1:58 PM PDT

Thanks for the information people. It helped a lot.

One more thing do any of you know how to get my external hard drive to sleep when my computer sleeps? When I had it on my Mac the external went to sleep, but on the Vista it don't.

Thank you.

Collapse -
NTFS when secured is ROCK SOLID
by ask4anu / March 23, 2007 2:14 PM PDT

spanned across a RAID ARRAY

SELF SUSTAINING

1-800-

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!