Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do I re-format my computer?

Can someone teach me step by step how to do a re-format on my computer? What thing should I back up? So that I can eazly back to my old configure after my new windows is formated?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I re-format my computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I re-format my computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How do I re-format my computer?

In reply to: How do I re-format my computer?

Andy,

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. Depending on your issue, we might need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, brand name of the computer, (if there is one), and any other information you think might be helpful. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

In the meantime, here are some links that should help. You'll want to print out the information so you can use it during the format.:

Toni Hackler's: How To Fdisk and Format Drives..lengthy post

And here are some good links for Windows 98:

How to Install Windows 98 on a Computer with No Operating System (Q221829)

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk (Q255867)

Here's more about Windows XP, how to format, and some of the things you need to be cautious of:

Release Notes for Windows XP Home

Release Notes for Windows XP Pro Edition

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup Problems When Upgrading from Windows 98 or Windows ME

How To Run Windows XP Setup From DOS

Remember, formattting will "wipe" the drive clean. You'll need to have all the program installation disks to reinstall your programs, and you'll need to make backup copies of ALL your important documents, pictures, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And sound, video, modem drivers.

In reply to: Re: How do I re-format my computer?

Collapse -
Use Registry Editor program

I have recently discovered a program that makes reformatting my hard drive not necessary. When I installed new programs or remove others in the past, I was plagued with computer problems that often facilitated reformatting my hard drive. Since I have used Registry Mechanic, I have not had problems.

Collapse -
Kimble, A Need To Be Cautious...

In reply to: Use Registry Editor program

Although registry cleanup programs can be useful, most new users need to be aware that they can also cause major damage which will actually REQUIRE reformatting and reinstalling.

Good PC maintenance and clean up is a good thing, but a registry damaged by an over-zealous cleanup tool can sometimes be unrepairable.

My point...know a little about what you're deleting from the registry before doing so..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Also looking to re-format.............

I'm also trying to re-format a laptop. I have a 1 gig gateway
with an 70 gb of HD (3.5 currently free), model 7110GX, running windows XP. The problem is
the unit is completely out of space. I tried to copy an image of
all the software, and transfer it to a maxtor external HD. My plan was to leave nothing except programs on the unit, and all data on the EHD. Instead of fixing things, this actually ate up all of the remaining space (39> gb of ~42 gb). I've tried to delete the copy from the internal (C:drive)HD, but I receive an error message stating that it cannot be deleted. The exact message is 'cannot delete 'books', access is denied'. Make sure is not being used by another application, and is not write restricted. I have no idea what 'books' is. So basically, I have half of the HD consumed by
a mirror image of the system. With almost no space to even operate the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to delete this
space hog I've created?

JSD

Collapse -
This Thread Is About Formatting..You're Trying To Re-Image

In reply to: Also looking to re-format.............

If you want to format the disc, simply place the OS disc in the DVD/CD drive, restart the computer, delete the current partition, create a new one, the format the new partition.

On the other hand, if you're trying to create a mirror of the drive. that's a different topic and maybe you should start a new one of our own using all the pertinent information. especially the "mirror" program you're using.. Have you tried contacting the mirror program's support site?

Unfortunately, you've added your question at the bottom of a 5 year old post and you may not get many responses.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
hi, nice to meet you!

I want to formate my computer. Toshiba computer,Satellite L300D-242 system unit.

Collapse -
Nice to meet you also.

In reply to: hi, nice to meet you!

Did you already read through all the tips and how-to's in this thread?

Kees

Collapse -
Why do you need to reformat ?

What has gone wrong If you ask a question please give the reason for you request
It is simple to reformat but if you do you end up with an equivalent of an idot your computers memory is wiped out and so is all your data and Prgs.

If you must do it go to Start>Acessories > Cmd prompt
Then type cd\
Then type Format C:
This will wipe out your main drive and you have to rebuild But I repeat the question Why reformat in the first place ?

Collapse -
No Way

In reply to: Why do you need to reformat ?

"If you must do it go to Start>Acessories > Cmd prompt
Then type cd\
Then type Format C:
"

Windows will NOT let you format the boot drive while Windows has control of it.

TONI

Collapse -
I am curious?

In reply to: No Way

What have you said different ?
Or is it another of your threats to me?

Collapse -
Lindburgh....

In reply to: I am curious?

Clearly, no threats or insults were made...only a correction to your previous suggestion...If you read Toni's post, it clearly states that the procedure you suggested WILL NOT work.

You stated in your previous post:

If you must do it go to Start>Acessories > Cmd prompt
Then type cd\
Then type Format C:
This will wipe out your main drive and you have to rebuild ...

As she so clearly stated:

Windows will NOT let you format the boot drive while Windows has control of it.

It appears like you haven't tried the suggestion you made. I have...Windows won't let the user format the C drive in such a manner.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Where have I threatened you?

You gave instructions to be in a windows environment, go to Start, etc. and format the C: drive.

I pointed out that I don't know of any windows version that will allow you to eradicate itself while it already is running and has control of the C: (boot) drive.

TONI

Collapse -
Lindburgh, In Addition...Did You Read... ???

...my initial post to the topic of this thread??

You said:

What have you said different?

In my initial post to this thread, (HERE) , I listed a link to one of Toni's excellent posts on formatting procedures.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Why am I reformatting?

Because a virus was downloaded onto it and everytime I try to get on the internet it freezes up. Plus I don't want to pay my computer guy $125 to do it.

Collapse -
Bk, Try Cleaning The Virus...

In reply to: Why am I reformatting?

....and fixing the problem...A reformat won't clear ALL viruses or malware from the hard drive and most can be cleaned by knowing the file name and location of the virus, the virus name, plus using a good antivirus program. For most virus situations, formatting is not the best or easiest answer.

And in many situations now, it's not a virus infection at all but instead spyware/adware or a trojan...

Obviously, each situation is different and if the computer was completely trashed by a group of infections, then reformatting and starting from scratch may be the best solution. But it's always good to look for the easiest alternative first. Formatting and reinstalling can cause it's own set of problems.

For example, in your situation, (although you haven't told us your operating system or what you use to connect to the internet).. IF you've made sure that there is no malware or viruses on the computer, then I would proceed by trying the utilities in the links below to repair Internet Explorer and fix the internet connection files:

IEFix Utility
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm

Repairs Winsock 2 settings caused by buggy software or improperly removed internet software:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
IEFix Utility

In reply to: Bk, Try Cleaning The Virus...

I have a Dell desktop with W2000 which I upgraded to WXP. I tried to download the IEFix Utility and could not. The message read it was invalid. How do I download it?
Thanks

Collapse -
Cannot access links

I tried accessing both of these links to see if this may help me too but I get the "this page cannot be found" erro in both IE6 and Firefox. Is this possibly the result of a virus or something? I can't detect any with Norton, Pest patrol, Emco malware cleaner.

Collapse -
Lollygag & Hubie, Both Links Work For Me

In reply to: Cannot access links

Collapse -
?Spybot Search & Destroy? Spyware Removal Tool

In reply to: Lollygag & Hubie, Both Links Work For Me

I would suggest that if you are not quite sure about your programs on your computer and if you have installed software even hardware it can come with spyware and if it is deleted the effected programs might and probably will and I mean will not work. Be very careful when deleting registry entries as this could make your computer totally useless. Adware I have found to be safe but be very careful of Spybot It can make your computer so it won't even boot depending on the spyware and if it is in the registry. Its too late when a back up is made of the Registry with Spybot even with the back up it is useless when the computer will not boot. After files have been deleted from the registry. I do not know what all the hype is about Spybot as if certain files are deletd in registry the computer is toast.

Collapse -
Reformatting does clear viruses, spyware, trojans, etc

Formatting empties the mind of the computer. It is a total blank. There is no residual information in it at all.

Collapse -
Sorry, Not Always.. The Key Word.. Formatting...

In reply to: Reformatting does clear viruses, spyware, trojans, etc

First, a formatted disc is NOT totally blank and there IS residual information although it takes special recovery programs to extract that information.

In addition, there are a number of boot sector viruses that can remain in the boot sector/MBR (or boot loader for Vista) if standard formatting of the partition is used, and as such, it will still allow the virus to repopulate the computer after the format and install is done. Also, many brand name computers have Recovery Partitions which can be infected and since they are separate from the C: drive, they are not "formatted" when the C: drive is reformatted and the operating system is reinstalled. Once again, the virus/malware is passed along to the newly formatted drive. Other methods are needed to remove this type of problem.

Likewise, there are a few memory resident viruses which will remain in memory if the computer is never fully shut down during the "formatting process".

On the other hand, if a full disc wipe is used, (Dban, Killdisc, etc.) which eliminates all partitions and wipes the entire hard drive by overwriting the previous data with multiple passes, plus the computer is removed from power for a set amount of time to eliminate memory resident stuff, then YES, you can be fairly sure that all data is gone from the computer and hard disc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Format

Well my comp has been effected with a virus and it has basically took my comp over.I'm not allowed to surf the internet on user accounts,only guest

Collapse -
Re: How do I re-format my computer ?

My system is having win xp and i want to remove the win xp i tried to format it but it said the current drive is under use so how could i format my system.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: How do I re-format my computer ?

Vinu,

A warning first: be VERY sure you know what to do and why you do it. There are many stories here from people doing a format and ending up without their data and with a bill from a computer repair shop.

Boot from the Windows XP CD and choose the recovery console, which is kind of an MS-DOS command prompt. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058 for a description. This will enable you to format.
Booting from the Windows XP CD will also let you install the OS on the freshly formatted hard disk. But that's when most troubles start.

Kees

Collapse -

Nice suggestion keys! Vin, if you need more help write me in e-mail before u format. you can find my address in my profile skip

Collapse -
Vinu, Advice Already Posted Earlier...

Collapse -
Minor correction.

In reply to: Vinu, Advice Already Posted Earlier...

My name is written as Kees (and pronounced nearly identical to the English word 'case', not at all like the English word 'keys' or 'bees'), so it's
- Kees said (like James said)
- Kees' information (like James' information)
and never
- Kee's (like Lee's)

It's a good old Dutch name. I know it's difficult for foreigners (remember, you're a foreigner for me) and if I were going to live in America I'd probably change it to Jack Baker; my second name is Jacob, and Bakker (with the vowels pronounced as in 'master' and not like 'better', which is difficult for English speakers also) is Dutch for Baker, of course.

But for the moment I prefer Kees. Still, no hard feelings, be assured of that. Just noting.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Minor correction.

In reply to: Minor correction.

Thanks Kees for the explanation. I learn something every day. Sometimes there are nuance differences but we foreigners never intend to offend. I did not take it that way and was glad to get the explanation. Dutch people are of the finest... I remember from my childhood many years ago seeing the picture and reading about the little Dutch boy plugging the dike with his finger. That mental picture always returns when I remember your country.

Have a great day Kees! I enjoy your posts.

Glenn

Collapse -
More trivia.

In reply to: Re: Minor correction.

Glenn,

That boy was Hans Brinker. Of course, he's fantasy; he comes from a book by an American writer called Mary Mapes Dodge. Still, he has two statues in Holland: one in Spaarndam and one in Harlingen.

Come to think of it, we have more statues of fictitious celebreties:
- *** Trom, a boy from a few books by Joh. C. Kievit, has a statue in Hoofddorp. He's famous for sitting frontside-back on an donkey (rodeo-like, so to say).
- Bartje has a statue in Assen. He's from a book by Anne de Vries. He's famous for saying 'Bartje doesn't pray for brown beans.' Around 1900 brown beans seem to have been the only food available in the very poor peat-colonies here and obviously he didn't like it. But it seems his parents insisted he thanked God for it, noentheless. I never read the book, so I can't tell you what happened next.

You could have an interesting, if unconventional, holiday in Europe, I suppose, visiting statues of people-that-never-existed. How's that where you live?

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!