General discussion

how do i re-activate the new hardware wizard?

was going to install an old scanner to a new XP Pro rebuild. when i plugged it in, i got the new hardware wizard and accidentally/stupidly clicked cancel while the "don't recognize this equipment again" box was checked. still need to install this hardware and don't know how to re-activate the wizard. how do i do this?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: how do i re-activate the new hardware wizard?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: how do i re-activate the new hardware wizard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Use control panel

Goto the control panel section, find the add new h/w icon and proceed with prompts. Have any driver disc or install s/w(may have the drivers) in order to continue.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
doesn't work

"add new hardware" doesn't see/recognize the scanner. control panel/scanners won't add the scanner because twain isn't a regular driver (no device signature). the only time xp has recognized that a scanner was attached was the first time when the new hardware wizard popped up.

- Collapse -
Re-installs

Boot into "safe mode" then access the h/w device manager. Once there, remove any reference to the scanner, etc.. Doing it this way rather than booting normally should show all past installs and more accessible(clearer IMHO). Make sure the scanner is unconnected and then do a reboot. *OPTIONAL* If you have a registry cleaner, use it. I have used CCleaner to help clean any registry listing, which makes the re-install more acceptable and/or start again as if never done in the past(your choice).

If it still fails to install, do a direct install at the device manager(don't re-use the install s/w), use its feature to do this and point to the source files. In most cases the OCR portion is separate or allowable as its own install, if called for, supply it. Again, point to the source files.

If push comes to shove, then use the "restore point" feature of XP. If active, then pick a date before the failed old install was done. Hopefully, this returns to a time none of this arose.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Try the usual.

Look in device manager and remove any item with the ? mark or unknown.

Try the old refresh or re-detect again,
Bob

- Collapse -
more failure

it just keeps getting better... use glary utilities registry cleaner. no reference in device manager to a scanner. no means in device manager to add a scanner. tried scanners & cameras in the control panel, pointed to the twain .inf file (downloaded from the manufacturer's website), the scanner and camera installation wizard showed no model name in the selection box for me to select. attempted to restore to a previous point (there is only one) and after grinding away forever, windows announced that it could NOT restore to that point. ideas?

- Collapse -
After registry cleaners I call it a day.

Then reload the OS. After too many crashed machines or machines with troubles after registry cleaners I know to start over.
Bob

- Collapse -
quelle drag

i was hoping to avoid a system rebuild. it's too much like going to the dentist. maybe get pointed to a single registry entry which could be changed.

- Collapse -
Look into...

I suggest you try ASC ver. 3.7, Advanced SystemCare *free* and d/l it and hope for the best. Be sure the scanner is disconnected and any USB devices, unhooked, other than mouse or kybd..

Because so much has transpired, you get into chancy operations. Proceed as you will using the basic operations, ASC's maintain and diagnose buttons for repair. Allow it the time it needs and when done, reboot and check results. I have found this a safe pgm. to use 99% of the time. its those really hosed systems that may hic-up, the choice is yours. I can't recommend anything else for now. You should back-up any data you deem important if you continue in fix attempts.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
worth a shot

okey dokey. always happy to try out a new utility. good news is that it's a relatively new system build, so my backups are fresh. can always start over, i guess, but will have fingers firmly crossed for this possibility.

CNET Forums

Forum Info