Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

how do I open and rebuild iMac 17"s

by wfhatech / March 2, 2009 11:05 PM PST

Hello,

I am tech support for an Elementary-Middle school with an all Mac curriculum. We have been this way for just about 4 years now and our first model iMac 17 inches are no longer under warranty.

We have three iMac 17"s that don't work properly, here's the rundown:

- The First works properly fine but has a bad DVI port (we run SMARTBoards and require them for most of our classroom computers)

- The Second has a bad logic board, we don't have any other information about it

- The Third has a broken display, we're pretty sure everything else works on it.

We don't have applecare support on these three and are interested in turning them in to two (hopefully) or one working model for a teacher.

Any ideas/suggestions/resources?

Thanks,

J. Ginsberg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do I open and rebuild iMac 17"s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do I open and rebuild iMac 17"s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mac Tech Support
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 3, 2009 5:59 AM PST

I guess you did not apply for, or take, the Apple Certified Technician course which would have opened all the manuals and information that you needed.

Of course, how you would get in to them is all dependent of information that you did not share with us.
iMac 17" is not going to cut it.
iMac G4 17", iMac G5 17", iMac Intel 17" all have different methods to get inside them.
What type of iMacs are they?

P

Collapse -
iMac variety
by wfhatech / March 4, 2009 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: Mac Tech Support

iMac Intel 17"s

Collapse -
Not a job for those without the correct tools
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2009 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: iMac variety

The way into those is by removing the screen.

All is laid out behind the screen.

Special tools to remove the front glass, (if fitted) which has to be kept static free and absolutely clean(inside and out, but especially inside)

Not an easy task and and too complicated to give a step by step in this forum

Good Luck

P

Collapse -
how do I open and rebuild iMac 17"s
by rlcato / March 13, 2009 12:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Two options: Apple's tech support, or do it yourself
by dj_erik / March 13, 2009 2:27 PM PDT

Honestly, since your macs are out of warranty you've got two options. Apple can still work on them for a rather large fee usually, or you can try and do it yourself. I would check with Apple on prices first. The only thing I have a problem with the later is your own technical expertise, and finding parts. I would check out this site: http://www.ifixit.com/ They have a bunch of step by step guides for repairing Apples, and parts to repair them. Prices aren't too bad from iFixIt, but you can get cheaper online. I personally have supported them just because they've showed me some helpful hints in the past though.

Collapse -
Not a helpful post
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2009 11:37 PM PDT

this site has no information on iMacs.

They specialize in laptops and iPods.

P

Collapse -
iFixit. No not really.
by rlcato / March 14, 2009 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Not a helpful post

I was thinking of posting the same. That site just started. The do have info on iMacs but more the current (alum) models.

Here's some more info you can follow up on to get a precise bead on your machine:

http://www.apple-history.com/?page=recent_changes

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?