Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How do I lock up the PC and password protect in a keystroke?

by Jas0nStaff0rd / March 26, 2008 11:47 PM PDT

I'm using Windows XP Professional.

I have in mind doing some sensitive work when someone comes in whom I don't want looking at what I'm doing. Or maybe I've got to get up from my work all of a sudden, and don't want someone stumbling across the laptop and getting curious.

I have been using my regular old Windows screen saver program, set to "Marquee" with a black background and no text. It's set to ask for a password on resume, and I have a shortcut on my desktop so all I have to do is hit Ctrl+Alt+F12 and I'm on a black screen.

The problem is: for some reason with this screensaver setup, it doesn't always ask for the password on resume. If I leave it sit for several hours with the black screen up, it does, but if I only leave it for thirty seconds or so, it doesn't.

I do not care particularly about the aesthetics here... it doesn't have to be a black backdrop, if I could figure out how to get straight to the login screen instead, maybe, that would be fine. But I really want it to be password-protected, and it has to be something I can do with just a very quick keystroke.

Any help would be seriously appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I lock up the PC and password protect in a keystroke?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I lock up the PC and password protect in a keystroke?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: locking PC
by Kees Bakker / March 26, 2008 11:52 PM PDT

That's Windows-key (between ctrl and alt on most keyboard) + L. A standard feature of XP. Like Windows-key + M = minimize all windows (and show desktop) and Windows-key + E = start My Computer.

Kees

Collapse -
Locking
by Jas0nStaff0rd / March 27, 2008 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: locking PC

Oh! Well, sure enough it is. Thanks 11ty, Kees!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.