HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do I know if my motherboard was actually replaced??

by diegorico / October 10, 2009 9:31 AM PDT

I don't think it was. Here's the deal. I bought a new computer. 2 weeks later the picture on the screen would "freeze" on me after my computer sat idle for several minutes. My keyboard input in the back also wasn't working. I had to use a keyboard with a USB plug instead. I took it back. Was told it was still covered under manufacturer's warranty. The electronic's store sent it to them. 6 weeks later I get it back and was told they had to replace the motherboard. Well guess what?? It's still freezing!! Plus the keyboard plug is not working. I was also expecting to re-install my programs (I-Tunes, Norton, etc) but they were still there. I figured if they replaced the motherboard they would have had to restor the OS system as well. But that clearly didn't happen. Is there a way to know if the original motherboard is still in there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I know if my motherboard was actually replaced??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I know if my motherboard was actually replaced??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably not unless you'd marked the old board
by Steven Haninger / October 10, 2009 9:51 AM PDT

or recorded such as the MAC address of an on board NIC and compared the old to the new.

Collapse -
Does it sound as if it was indeed replaced?
by diegorico / October 10, 2009 10:17 AM PDT

That's my other question does it sound to you all as if they did not replace it? It doesn't sound to me as if they did. If they had done so, would my old programs still be there? Would my keyboard plug be working?

Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / October 10, 2009 10:30 AM PDT

Yes, your programs would still be there, and for all intents and purposes you'd never be able to tell by simply using the computer. I do motherboard replacements all the time at work, and so long as you replace it with a more or less identical board, you don't have to reload the OS or anything else.

The easiest way to tell, is if the BIOS revision is reported at boot. If this is different from what you had before, then you know that at the very least they flashed the BIOS to a new revision.

But with name brand computers, they will all have the same basic motherboard, and they can be swapped in and out on a whim. I do this with Dell laptops and desktops all the time. Just did one on Thursday afternoon as a matter of fact. One unfortunate lady had to have me replace the motherboard on her laptop like 5 times before I found a good one from Dell. Never had to reinstall the OS though.

Which is another point. Some motherboards just have design flaws. Dell's Latitude D510 series would be among them. That's the one I had to replace about 5 times before finding a good one. So, it's entirely possible that even AFTER replacing your motherboard, you could still have the same problems. It could also be that it's not a hardware issue, but software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.