PC Hardware forum

General discussion

how do i know if my harddrive is already dead?

first all i see is a strange noise coming out of my pc, then lately windows wont startup, i tried the startup disk and tried to access drive c: all it says is abort/retry/fail... is this the end of my drive? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do i know if my harddrive is already dead?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do i know if my harddrive is already dead?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
seems like it

In reply to: how do i know if my harddrive is already dead?

however, it could be a virus but probably isnt because u mentioned "a strange noise" and "access drive c: abort/retry/fail"

hope u saved any important files u had

Collapse -
tsk tsk tsk

In reply to: seems like it

thanksss

Collapse -
DRIVE FITNESS TEST.

In reply to: how do i know if my harddrive is already dead?

The makers of most hard disks offer a DRIVE FITNESS TEST on their web sites. I've used that to make the call.

Bob

Collapse -
hmmmm...

In reply to: DRIVE FITNESS TEST.

thats the thing, my windows wont start so i cant do any harddrive testing... anyway, how much does a decent new harddrive cost these days? im not talking about the gazillion gigabyte ones, just the ordinary, everyday use, hdd.... thanksssssssssssssssss

Collapse -
Check online or local

In reply to: hmmmm...

Did you even try the HD maker's test pgms? You should, that will answer your question, plus if you have any warranty, they will require to run it and report back. These pgms. usually are independant of windoze being present, they boot on thier own via floppy. If you want to skip all that, then simply buy a new HD. Google or visit your favorite online vendor or check local shops/stores for sales or not. A 60gb is roughly $65, maybe less if some rebate is involved and of course a sale. Pricing is dirt cheap when compared to 2 yrs. ago, you can get a large gb HD provided your system can support it.

happy USA -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: Check online or local

ivve seen a 80gb western digital go for around 40 bucks a couple times

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.