General discussion

How do I keep address book secure in Windows Mail on Vista ?

I have Vista Home Premium and Windows Mail and I POP3 all my email but so far I've been typing email addresses in manually (which I have written down in a small spiral notebook).

What I want to know is :

Is there a way, or ways, to keep an address book of contacts secure from infections? I mean the infections that can read the contents of your address book and send email out as if it were me.

Please let me know of any tips on this issue.

Thanks ahead for any replies.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How do I keep address book secure in Windows Mail on Vista ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I keep address book secure in Windows Mail on Vista ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Staying Secure w/ Windows Mail

stick joe..

Generally (and personally) speaking, I don't feel "keeping your address book contacts secure from infections", involves much more, than what's necessary to keep your entire system secure from infections. It begins and ends with you. In its shortest form ... using commonsense. It also entails having the proper security software installed and up to date. Keeping your system patched, etc., etc.

With that said, in regard to what you (specifically) asked, have a look at the article, "Important Security Information To Know", from the Windows Live Solution Center. Scroll down to "the list of things you can do to protect your online accounts and identity". If you protect your account, you protect your contacts.

About a week ago, someone posted after having had their account/address book compromised. You might want to take a look at the thread. Specifically, the "Hotmail Safety and Security Blog". Clicking on each category on the left-hand side of the page, provides additional information on the right. It may (or may not) be of further help.

Best of luck..
Carol

- Collapse -
A solution !!!!

I read all that stuff at the links you posted and do that all already but reading it gave me an "out-of-the-box" idea.

Here it is :

I decided to enter my contacts into a password safe that's encrypted - I chose KeePass Password Safe Portable (it installs and runs off a flash drive)(it's free and I got it here at download.com).

Here's how I did it for anyone who may read this and want to know :

I just entered in the email addresses of the contacts into the "username" fields, left the "password" fields blank and enabled "autotype" in "options" and saved it all.

I tested it just now - it works great! Now I can autotype a contact's email address right into the From field in Windows Mail (and everywhere else for that matter) and best of all everything's protected by encryption.

Swell!
Grin

If anyone is the same boat I was in when I posted this thread this out-of-the-box method for securing your contacts, this is a great way to solve it so I recommend it.

CNET Forums