Phones forum

Question

How do I hide a voicemail password as I enter it?

by gentilr / June 10, 2014 1:05 AM PDT

Hello everyone, I'm trying to solve a privacy problem.

PROBLEM: when I call into my carrier's voicemail retrieval # from my cell phone, it prompts me for my 4-digit access code. When I enter it, it shows the actual numbers and not dots, so others may be able to see my access code. I would like to have them show up as dots.

RELEVANT FACTS:
Phone: HTC myTouch 4G
Carrier: Fido (Canada)

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR:

1. Under privacy settings on my phone, set passwords to not be visible and show up as dots. However this does not seem to apply to passwords entered in by the phone. There is no security feature to hide what is being entered under phone settings.

2. I attempted to modify the pre-programmed voice mail retrieval number so that my phone automatically dials the password after dialing the number. After the # I added two commas to create a pause, then the access code. But all attempts to modify this failed and I received a message to "contact your carrier."

3. I set up a new contact in my phone book called "VM" with the carrier's voicemail retrieval # and above format (2 commas, access code). Then I tried to set that as the # my phone should call to check voicemail. That change did not go through, same message as above.

4. Called my carrier (Fido in Canada) and they were not aware of the issue and could not offer any solution except make sure no one was watching.

I think the issue is that when I'm using the phone, it's automatically set to show you the numbers you are dialing. And of course it doesn't know when I'm entering in a password.

So does anyone know if there is a button I can press to tell the phone "from this point forward display only dots" as I dial? Or is there an app for private-dialing mode?

thanks for reading my post!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I hide a voicemail password as I enter it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I hide a voicemail password as I enter it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I did that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 1:08 AM PDT

But it was in my app so I controlled the input methods. Here we are with an app written by someone else and you can't change it.

--> The awful truth is that it is expected that on a small screen you will maintain your visual security.

Go ahead and rant if you must.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
What I use.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 3:25 AM PDT

A suggestion would be to use an VM application. I use YouMail and find it much more easy and motr functional than my carrier's VM system. Hope that is useful.

Collapse -
Answer
Time to visit Howardforums.com
by Pepe7 / June 10, 2014 4:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Agreed with Pepe....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 7:31 AM PDT

While HowardForums is not exclusively a Canadian-based provider source of information, it is a very informative source of information.

Collapse -
Thanks for the answer
by gentilr / June 11, 2014 7:08 AM PDT

Thanks for the answers and suggestions. I checked out YouMail. While not the exact solution I am looking for, it may be a useful option if I cannot find an answer to my question. I found someone else asking the same thing on a post from 2 years ago: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/767582.

It seems like such a basic security feature, i'm surprised there is no phone setting or app for this situation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!