Question

How do I get Windows Home Server 2011 to back up Windows 10?

I have Windows Home Server 2011 running on an HP Proliant Microserver. It works fine with Windows 7 and Windows XP, correctly backing up all the disks.
The connector installs successfully on my Windows 10 system, which runs on a 32-bit Acer Aspire 10 convertible. It detects the low space available on the Acer's "hard drives", and reports the status of all the systems on my network, but it gives errors when I try to back up any of the disks. The Acer's C-drive is formatted NTFS, so shouldn't present difficulty. But WHS2011 won't back it up.

This system disk is the only one I really care about backing up with WHS, as the D-drive is dedicated to OneDrive, so is stored in the cloud as well as being mirrored on a W7 machine that is being backed up successfully.

Has anyone got a hint of how to get a fully-functioning WHS connector running on 32-bit Windows 10?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How do I get Windows Home Server 2011 to back up Windows 10?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I get Windows Home Server 2011 to back up Windows 10?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
A quick look around found no fix.

This one is for you to decide to keep WHS if Microsoft isn't patching it for W10.

However I have to ask if you ever tried restoring from WHS. I mean if I was to pull your W7's HDD out, pop in a blank HDD, would you be able to recover? I found no one able to restore from a HDD failure.

This is why I suggest you rethink your backup and restore systems.

- Collapse -
Yes, I successfully restored W7 and XP systems using WHS2011

WHS proved invaluable when I wanted to put new system drives into two Windows 7 systems and an XP netbook. Once was to fit a larger disk into a Lenovo notebook, and the others were to replace their hard drives with SSDs.

- Collapse -
Wait? PT write it works?
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4845/ask-paul-windows-home-serveressentials-connector-and-windows-10

I wonder if your W10 is not "plain old W10." That is I am running into W10 fails like this but they owner has already hit it with some over reaching security suite or a registry cleaner. I'm using W10 with Defender, Adblock+ and Web Of Trust and scans find nothing but a few cookies.

PS. The replies there go back and forth from working to not. If it's failing, it's likely just broke and you have to get Microsoft to tell you if they plan to fix.

Post was last edited on June 16, 2016 12:31 PM PDT

- Collapse -
Not quite the same issue that PT covers

There's a risk that my W10 is too much "plain old W10" as the last update didn't work (it insisted on downloading updates to the system disk rather than to the drive designated for downloads, and then complained there wasn't enough space). Apart from AVG, my W10 is vanilla.

Those complaining on problems on PT's site seem to be unable to get the connector to work at all. That's not my problem; it connects and reports well, but won't back up.

- Collapse -
Read not only PT but the discussions below.

I've run into the old "My OS is on a small C drive and I want everything to be on another drive" discussions for years. The annoyances of such a a setup are such that the office I work at won't support such or even attempt to fix such a system.

A few clients get upset at that but the awful truth is that we can't be sure that it ever will work like they wanted. So why tell them it might work?

We go with the old way of the big C drive and for keeping things organized, the folders for this and that.

Can be upsetting to those trying to keep the OS, apps and data or different drive letters.

- Collapse -
Good advice that is NOT applicable to most convertible PCs

Machines like the Acer Switch 10 come with a built in C-drive that is not expandable, so the only way to increase storage is with a secondary drive. Most things work fine, and you can by-pass the restrictions on a removable drive by configuring it as a virtual drive. I'd be happy for Home Server to ignore the virtual drive, but I do need it to back-up the built-in C-drive.

- Collapse -
That model is

And this is my experience not for new users. That is, after a while someone might learn about Windows enough to be able to deal with that system. Today, there are folk that just want it to work. They do not not want to deal with it.

- Collapse -
R.Proffitt: What do you mean?

OK, you have to be fairly knowledgeable about Windows to start messing about with VDisks, but "that model" works fine without them, so long as you don't want to store OneDrive data on the D-drive.

I would argue that those who "just want it to work" probably don't run Home Server, and wouldn't be reading or posting on this forum. It really doesn't help to tell people that they shouldn't be running the hardware they've bought.

- Collapse -
I think it is helpful to call this out.

If someone buys the wrong machine, let's not dance around the issue. If they buy a 32GB C drive machine why not let them know they have to learn how to drive that around?

Buying a harder to use machine should not entitle them to others avoiding laying it out that they need a bigger boat (C drive.) Or that they must decide to learn or return.

- Collapse -
Yes, I have restored three complete systems with WHS2011

R.Proffitt's point is valid, as there's not much point in making backups you can't restore.

I have used WHS to change hard drives on both XP and W7 systems, and found the rebuilds completely painless. Just make sure the last backup ran before pulling out the old disk, put in the new disk, boot from USB stick, restore from WHS, then just reboot. Even if the disk had crashed, you'd only lose a few hours work (but disks don't crash if you replace them in time).

It's wonderful, and much better than messing with products like Ghost that require deliberate back-up.

- Collapse -
Answer
Try Manually Starting the Windows Server Services of Client

I had a similar problem on a Windows 10 machine for a very long time. Would always show, from the WHS2011 Dashboard on another computer, as offline. Could not access the Dashboard features from that Windows 10 computer not get any alerts. Confused me because the same Windows 10 client was connected to the WHS2011 as a file server with mapped drives.

Took me 8 months to solve it coming back to it now and again several hours each time until frustration led me away. Figured it out tonight.

Some of the Windows Server services, though set to "automatic", were not turned on on the Win10 client. Manually started the services and two things happened: could connect the Dashboard AND a backup started for the first time in 8 months!

- Collapse -
(NT) Which Service did you have to start manually?
- Collapse -
Which Service did you have to start manually?

My W10 system is seen, and can run the dashboard, successfully controlling everything on the network. It even TRIES to back-up, but always fails. That could well be exactly the issue CP describes, if the connector client relies on a service that's not running. But starting the connector manually does not help, and I'm unable to work out which service is missing.

CNET Forums

Forum Info