Windows Legacy OS forum

How do I get rid of XP 11 Virus ?

by tht1canadiankid / April 17, 2011 2:21 PM PDT

Here's the deal,

I was on google, on a boring sunday night and was looking up some funny fail pics to stick up on facebook. I click on a picture and bam, XP 11 Security thing pops up claiming I have 27 infections. If I didn't have the slightest computer experience, I would have fell for it. The program looks legitimate, and is put together pretty well for a virus. I look in processes to see if I can kill it there, doesn't show up. I head over to Firefox, and it blocks access saying it was a virus trying to gain access or something. IE 8 also has the same result. The virus is not present on any other account but the one I used. It blocks access to the internet and constantly has pop ups in the task bar saying I'm being hijacked, infected, etc. This is really annoying. I am running Microsoft Security Essentials, and am disappointed this wasn't caught. It usually works for me. Does anybody have experience with this virus? Any simple way I can do this? Since I have control of the administrator account (seeing as the infected account is limited) I do have the power to delete the whole profile. But that's going to be a pain in the butt, because I have gigs of stuff I would need to take off. Can anybody help me out?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get rid of XP 11 Virus ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get rid of XP 11 Virus ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Follow the link
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 9:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
by tht1canadiankid / April 18, 2011 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Follow the link

The steps seemed to have worked, couldn't get the registry step to work though. After 45 minutes of scanning with MBAM my monitor randomly went from showing my screen to "cannot support mode". Somehow my computer decided to stop showing input because it didn't like the resolution it had been running on for months now. I had to hard shut down my computer after 2 hours of it staying like that. I logged back on and the virus is gone, although I would have liked to have sent a sample to MSE so that they could add it to their data base.

Thanks Mark,

Collapse -
Glad it's working now
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Follow the link

But that monitor loss seems to be a separate thing. I hope it's OK now.

I can understand why you wanted to send details of the malware to MSE, but they know all about it already. It's not a virus as such and there is little that anti-virus scanners can do about it. It is 'fly-by' web malware which we pick up when we visit the wrong web sites. Since the anti-virus has already cleared the browser .exe as virus free it does nothing else with whatever the browser downloads.

The only way to help prevent that is to use a browser tool like McAfee's Site Advisor, or for Firefox, an add-on called WOT, (Web of Trust).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?