Question

How do i get rid of IE8 on windows vista?

My IE8 suddenly started freezing up and running slow as christmas. I tried re-booting, didn't work. So I uninstalled it by going to control panel. I downloaded it again from my laptop on a flash drive and then tried to reinstall it on my desktop. It won't install, says I already have a more current version installed. So I downloaded IE9, which I despise by the way, but it does the same thing...still freezes. So I downloaded Google chrome so I could get back on the internet. Any suggestions as to how I get totally rid of IE?
I set Google chrome to be default browser but everytime i click on the internet button it takes me back to IE. I'm pulling my hair out.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How do i get rid of IE8 on windows vista?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do i get rid of IE8 on windows vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
How do i get rid of IE8 on windows vista?

Does it takes to IE when you click on Google chrome icon or shortcut ?

- Collapse -
Answer
RE: IE

1. You can't uninstall Internet Explorer. Just don't use if it's slow to due to bad add-ons, malware or some other reason.
2. What exactly is the Internet button? Why use it if it still points to IE and you don't want that? Why not change it so that it points to Chrome?

Kees

- Collapse -
IE8

I have Dell dock which has an internet icon I can't figure out how to get it to default to google. I know one thing this ie sucks when you cant get rid of it...biggest pain in the *** I ever saw besides my wife.

- Collapse -
That surely is configurable.

And now suppose you have deleted IE. Then this button (if not configured otherwise) would link to a non-existing program and give an error message. So you would have to reconfigure it to point to Chrome anyway.

Time to start reading the manual about to how configure the buttons. Control Panel, maybe?

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
get rid of IE 8 prob.

As you already have mentioned that you have set google chrome as the default browser, just click on chrome icon and I am damn sure it will take you to chrome only.

CNET Forums