HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do I get my welcome window back again on XP

by pfoley / October 9, 2004 5:43 AM PDT

On my Gateway laptop I have two wireless connections and one dial up connection. Since I installed my dial up connection, I have lost my welcome window, but I am not sure it has anything to do with that, or it happened because of some other setting. I get the message that I have to uninstall Client server for Netware in order for the Welcom window to work on XP, and that Client Server for Netware has disabled the welcome window.
How do I get it back. If I uninstall the Client Server for Netware, will it still show, so that I can re-install it if I so desire in the future? I am afraid to try to uninstall it, in the case that I might be needing it for one of my connections. I do not belong to any network other than my home pc and my wireless laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get my welcome window back again on XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get my welcome window back again on XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How do I get my welcome window back again on XP
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2004 10:16 AM PDT

pfoley,

On most networks, it's usually best to use the regular "log in" prompt at start up, mainly because of security reasons. "Administrator" log in's should remain that way, as should limited users. In my opinion, you should leave it that way.

But if you really want to change, have you tried the steps below. (I'm not sure whether the Netware network will allow this, but it's worth trying.):

How To Turn On The ?Welcome Screen?
Start | click your picture icon at the top.
* Click Home.
* Click Change the way users log on or off.
* In the next screen you'll see the options to turn on/off:
Use the Welcome screen
Use Fast User Switching

* Make your changes.

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by robin_h_p / November 25, 2004 8:49 PM PST

pfoley,

If Grif's suggestion did not work because the screen for changing the values was greyed out, you need to replace ginamsi.dll in the system32 directory.
I have this problem at present and no idea which program caused it, but I did get a message that the dll had been modified, so I am now hoping to get an original ginamsi.dll off one my friends computers as a replacement.

Robin

Collapse -
by robin_h_p / December 4, 2004 3:03 AM PST

To anyone having read my previous submission I humbly apologise! Having searched for an 'original' ginamsi.dll on other computers to no avail, I decided to do a search on internet.
And -lo and behold - I found the answer: ginamsi.dll and the fixation on a classical style welcome and closing screen is caused by installing the MSI Lock Box utility.
If you just remove the dll you're in trouble: there is no way you'll get into Windows XP. Luckily I just renamed the dll to ginamsi.old as a test and could repair that in the safe mode.
The real solution is to uninstall the MSI Lock Box, after which everything is back to normal.

Robin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.