Download the stand-alone CWShredder V220.127.116.11:
Close all other programs and run CWShredder.exe.
Click Fix, OK, let it fix anything it finds, click Next, then exit
Download the latest version of Ad-Aware (Ad-Aware SE Build 1.05) from Major Geeks.
If you have a previous version of Ad-Aware installed, during the installation of the new version you will be prompted to uninstall or keep the older version - be sure to uninstall the previous version.
After installing Ad-aware, you will be prompted to update the program and run a full scan. De-select all boxes so that it does not run.
Manually run "Ad-Aware SE Personal" and from the main screen Click on "Check for Updates Now".
Once the definitions have been updated:
Reconfigure Ad-Aware for Full Scan as per the following instructions:
-Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.
-Under General Settings the following boxes should all be checked off: (Checked will be indicated by a green circle with a check mark in it, Un-Checked is a red circle with an X in it. If it is greyed out, those features are only available in the retail version.)
- Automatically save logfile"
- Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal"
- Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
- Prompt to update outdated confirmation) - Change to 7 days.
- Click the "Scanning" button (On the left side).
- Under Drives & Folders, select "Scan within Archives"
- Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.
- Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
- Click the "Advanced" button (On the left hand side).
- Under "Shell Integration", select "Move deleted files to Recycle Bin".
- Under "Log-file detail", select all options.
- Click on the "Defaults" button on the left.
- Type in the full url of what you want as your default homepage and searchpage e.g. http://www.google.com.
- Click the "Tweak" button (Again, on the left hand side).
- Expand "Scanning Engine" by clicking on the "+" (Plus) symbol) and select the following:
- "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
- "Obtain command line of scanned processes"
- "Scan registry for all users instead of current user only"
- Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:
-"Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion."
-"During removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary"
-"Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot."
- "Delete quarrantined objects after restoring"
- Click on "Safety Settings" and select "Write-protect system files after repair (Hosts file, etc)"
- Click on "Proceed" to save these Preferences.
- Click on the "Scan Now" button on the left.
- Under "Select Scan Mode, be sure to select "Use Custom Scanning Options".
- Close all programs except ad-aware.
- Click on "Next" in the bottom right corner to start the scan.
- Run the Ad-Aware scan and allow it to remove everything it finds and then REBOOT - Even if not prompted to.
- After you log back in, Ad-Aware may run to finalize the scan and remove any locked files that it may of found. Allow it to finish.
Plug-Ins for Ad-Aware (VX2 Cleaner)
Download the free VX2 Cleaner here
Close Ad-Aware SE build 1.05 and Ad-Watch (if running)
Install the VX2 Cleaner
Start Ad-Aware SE build 1.05
Go to ?Plug-ins?
Select the VX2 Cleaner plug-in and click ?Run Plugin?
If your computer isn?t infected, click ?Close?.
If your computer is infected:
Select ?Clean System?
Reboot your computer
Scan your computer with Ad-Aware
Remove any VX2 objects detected
Reboot your computer again
Run a second scan to make sure the files have been removed from your computer
Virus warnings while performing a scan with Ad-Aware
While performing a scan with Ad-Aware, a background antivirus monitor may issue an alert, stating that a virus has been found in the temporary directory (%temp%) for the current user. This does not necessarily mean your computer has been infected with an active virus. Most antivirus resident scanners will not scan compressed files and only monitor your memory for the sign of an active viral process.
During a scan, Ad-Aware will temporarily decompress files to scan their contents without activating the content, but in doing so, the file is noticed by the antivirus' resident scanner.
Also, some antivirus applications include an option to quarantine infected files, and when Ad-Aware decompresses these quarantined files, the antivirus background scanner detects the virus moving outside the quarantine area. To avoid this you can either remove the quarantined files via your antivirus application, or have Ad-Aware ignore the antivirus program's quarantine folders/files during a scan.
Download SPYBOT Search and Destroy here if it is not already installed on your computer. Also download the DSO Exploit Fix - HOTFIX here
Install the program and then start it. Once the program has started make sure you are in the Spybot-S&D section. Click on the "Search for Updates" button. Download all updates. In some cases the program will restart after an update. When updated, click on the "Check for Problems" button. When the Check is over All problems displayed in red are regarded as real threats and should be dealt with. Make sure they are all selected and click the "Fix selected problems" button.
do an online scan using Trend Micro Housecall. It is available here.
Did you get rid of it?
How do I get my homepage back after being hijacked? I have McAfee protection now, however I can't seem to get my homepage to change back?