Computer Help forum

Question

How do I get my graphics out of low res?

by bosox75m / July 7, 2012 3:41 AM PDT

This has stumped many people already. I appreciate anyone willing to try to solve the riddle.

I had a virus and had it professionally removed. After the work was done, my Vista HP Notebook reverted to a weird setting in which the desktop icons would not stay put after a reboot (I checked the typical fix, right-click settings on desktop but toggling those settings did not solve). No one could tell me how to fix this except one posting in which I followed these instructions: http://www.winhelpon...saved-restart/. Either I failed to implement properly or it was just a fail; it didn't fix my icons.

But it created a new problem.

What it did do was changed a graphics setting that makes my text and graphics look sort of like the graphics that are displayed in safe mode; the display is normal size and icon size is normal, however the quality of the graphics is crappy. I checked display settings and they are set to highest resolution, both in windows control panel and in NVidia control panel.

This is the Property Value report of my graphics setup:

USER-PC (Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
Code Name G98
Video Processor GeForce 9200M GS
Technology 65 nm
Adapter DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
PCI ID 0x10DE / 0x06E8 (nVidia Corporation / G98 [GeForce 9200M GS])
PCI sub ID 0x103C / 0x3603 (Hewlett-Packard Company)
Memory 256 MBytes
Dedicated Video Memory 237 MB (248971264)
Dedicated System Memory 0 MB (0)
Shared System Memory 1775 MB (1861855232)
Performance Level Current
Core Clock 500 MHz
Shaders Clock 1000 MHz
Memory Clock 400 MHz
Performance Level Default
Core Clock 169 MHz
Shaders Clock 338 MHz
Memory Clock 100 MHz
Performance Level 2D Desktop
Core Clock 275 MHz
Shaders Clock 550 MHz
Memory Clock 250 MHz
Performance Level 2D Desktop
Core Clock 500 MHz
Shaders Clock 1000 MHz
Memory Clock 400 MHz
Performance Level 3D Applications
Core Clock 529 MHz
Shaders Clock 1300 MHz
Memory Clock 400 MHz
BIOS String Version 62.98.3F.00.07 Version 62.98.3F.00.07 Version 62.98.3F.00.07
BIOS Date 09/19/08
PnP Device Id PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06E8&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_A1\ 4&137FD248&0&0008
Video Mode Description 1280 x 800 x 4294967296 colors
Driver Version 8.17.13.0142
Driver Date 2012-05-15 10:48:00
Core Temperature 57 °C (134 °F)
DirectX DirectX 9.0
Driver Name nvd3dum.dll
Driver Description NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor
Model LP154WX4-TLCB
Monitor ID LPL3101
Manufacturing Date 2008
PnP Device Id DISPLAY\LPL3101\5&211AE3D6&0&UID1048848
Input Digital
Display Size 15.4" (33 cm x 21 cm)
Current Resolution 1280 x 800 @ 60Hz
Supported Resolution 1280 x 800 @ 60Hz - Aspect Ratio 16:10
EDID Version 1 revision 3

Thank you for any help...I have a great machine but I am ready to dump it unless I can fix this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get my graphics out of low res?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get my graphics out of low res?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You mentioned text and graphics
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 7, 2012 5:27 AM PDT

If you mean icons and the text names associated with the icons then I agree with Ken that rebuilding the IconCache is worth a try.

However, if by text you mean Word Processor text or Notepad, or anything that displays text, then I suspect there is more to this.

By the way, that link fails for me.

If you do mean text other than simple icon text:

Has "Cleartype" been turned off? Cleartype is explained in Microsoft's web article here;
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartypeinfo.mspx
and an example here;
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx

Where the Cleartype setting is depends on which Windows OS you are using. If it isn't that then the virus.

You didn't say what the virus was nor how it was removed and it is possible that malware will make so many changes to system settings and the registry that the damage runs too deep for normal malware removal to work, and sometimes only a reinstall or a Repair Install will work.

Or, and I left it till last, the video card driver may be corrupted or the video card itself may be damaged. Coincidently, but coincidences do happen.

Mark

Collapse -
Clarification
by bosox75m / July 7, 2012 8:36 AM PDT

The text inside graphics is poor. It's harder to tell, but it seems like text inside MS word is ok. Graphics seem ok on websites. Video seems ok.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be a corrupt IconCache.db
by KenHusveg / July 7, 2012 4:45 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?