Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

How do I get MS Office back?!?!

by bluelove73 / October 6, 2004 9:42 AM PDT

Hi. I recently had to repair my pc and now my MS Office does not work. It's saying "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed." I had it installed and all the MS applications are there under Start All Programs, but when I try lclicking on them, that message pops up. I don't have MS Office cd... what can I do??

I need these applications for school? What can I do to bring them back? Thanks for the help.

Desperate Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get MS Office back?!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get MS Office back?!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How do I get MS Office back?!?!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 10:34 AM PDT

When I see that, I uninstall and reinstall it.

If you don't have the CD, then you have to move to Open Office which is free to download at http://www.openoffice.org It's what I use.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How do I get MS Office back?!?!
by bluelove73 / October 6, 2004 10:50 AM PDT

There's no other way to get it back without the cd? OpenOffice doesn't have the same things MS Office has and I need MS Office for school (we use Access, Excel, etc for school projects). So it's not gonna work for me, right?

Collapse -
No CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 10:57 AM PDT

Microsoft will replace your missing CD for about 20 bucks. Last time I got in in 3 days, but I hear you can pay more and get it overnight.

BTW, for Access I just use MySQL instead. It's more powerful and costs less.

Bob

PS. Sorry, the CD is required. Same for the OS.

Collapse -
Re: No CD?
by bluelove73 / October 6, 2004 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: No CD?

How do I get them to send me another CD? Is it another install cd with a product key and stuff? How do I contact them to send me a cd?

I'd use other programs, but my classes require MS Office applications to do our homework. So I have to have MS Office.

Collapse -
Here's the contact information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: No CD?
Collapse -
Ok, I'll try calling them
by bluelove73 / October 6, 2004 8:57 PM PDT

OK, thank you. I will try to call today. Do they ask for any information?

Thank u for your help Happy

Collapse -
Re: Ok, I'll try calling them
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 10:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: How do I get MS Office to open with new XP Pro OS????
by gjs / October 18, 2004 11:40 AM PDT

Aloha Bob,
I have the same message (must be installed - reinstall . . .) BUT it is after I installed Windows XP Pro (previously had XP Home). XP Home did not auto-uninstalled when I installed XP Pro. MS Office 2000 Small Business is still on the machine, but does not open when I am in XP Pro??? It does open from XP Home desktop. When I reinstall it does not accept my original CD KEY # - or any others I have "borrowed". HELP!!!
GjS

Collapse -
It's the same answer but with more answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2004 11:54 AM PDT

1. Always be honest about your license situation. It does no good if you have a "copy" of the Office CD and not a clear "I bought it" license...

2. http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/tools/BoxA13.htm

In short, a tool that cleans prior installs more thoroughly. Be sure your backup of documents and emails is current.

3. When you install XP, it can install multiple copies of the OS, but "not much" will carry over from another OS from what little I can guess you did. To replace Home with Pro, you have to take care to answer every question just so. I wasn't there so I can't know where it derailed.

4. Fixing Office might be easy. But can be impossible if you don't have a RETAIL FULL COPY or something that behaves the same. This is done on purpose since some BUNDLED OEM versions have a restricted license that you can't just install as you please. Again, I have no cure for that...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?