Computer Help forum

General discussion

how do I get how much memory I have left?

I have 256mb of RAM as meomory,
nut I wonder how do I get how much I used so far, and the importance to change it and why?
ml bonnyz4
if anyone will answer me, ill appreciate a lot
thnks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do I get how much memory I have left?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do I get how much memory I have left?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: how do I get how much memory I have left?

In reply to: how do I get how much memory I have left?

The concept of "free memory" is an odd issue in Virtual Memory OSes such as Linux, MacOS, Windows, Linux and Solaris. You can read the Memory Article at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm to learn many Windows Memory issues. But free memory is wasted memory in a virtual memory OS.

Bob

Collapse -

bonnyz4

Not sure what you are asking.

If you wish to know how much memory you are using. Go to DirectX Diagnosis Utility under Tools in System Information under accessiores/ Programs.

For how memory is used see:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/ram/index.htm
http://www.howstuffworks.com/computer-memory.htm
http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=5000186

For how much memory do you need the claim is
98/ME 256MB.
XP/2000 all you can afford.
This also depends on what your M/B will support.

Hope this helps

Bill

Collapse -

RAM is used as needed and gone when you turn of the computer or reboot.
For Windows 98 and ME 256 Mb is more than enough in normal circumstances. For Windows XP 256 Mb is more or less necessary, and you may 'need' more depending on what you use the machine for. If you like to do video-editing or work with a lot of high-resolution pictures at the same time, or play some of the latest hottest games adding memory to 384 Mb or 512 Mb will make the machine faster. But for just browsing and mailing and word processing 256 Mb is good.
And don't hurry to the shop to buy more memory, if you think you will profit from it. There are many types, and you have to choose the right one. So take the documentation that came with the computer with you.

The hard disk is a different story. It's 2 Gb (on a 1995 computer) to 200 Gb (on a 2004 computer). And you put files on it that you can see in My Computer or Explorer. The more Gb, the more and the larger files will fit on it. On my 2 Gb machine I'v got 1,7 Gb full, on my 30 Gb machine 15 Gb is used. If you like to rip DVD's you'll need a lot of disk space.
In My Computer right click on c: (or d: if that's a hard disk too), choose properties and Windows will tell you (in numbers and in a pie chart) how much of the space is occupied and how much is free. No need to worry until it's 90% full.

Hope this helps.

Kees
Collapse -

Gee Bonny, did you read the 'tip' when posting. Wish you had at least included what operating system you are using.

Everyone gave good replys on RAM. I've never been able to keep track of how much RAM is used as we use the computer, and really don't see a need to. If by chance you have Win98 or WinMe, you have a 'Resource' meter that you can keep track of your "Resources" as they are used. Find it by going to Start>Programs>Accessories, then what I do is short cut a copy to the System Tray where it can be watched. Resources are best if indicated around 90% or above right after startup/reboot. As you use the PC you will note they reduce, and when they get too low will usually have a slow down of the PC. By restarting the PC the 'Resources' are restored.
WinXP is different and a 'Resource' meter is not provided or needed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.