Computer Help forum

Question

How do I get Dell Inspiron n5110 working again?

by Jumpinjoe35 / February 17, 2014 4:49 AM PST

Replaced hard drive and memory card on my Dell Inspiron n5110. Now all I get at start up is power button on, no screen and beeps 4 times. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get Dell Inspiron n5110 working again?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get Dell Inspiron n5110 working again?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you reinstall the operating system?
by glb613 / February 17, 2014 4:54 AM PST

It takes a lot more than just replacing parts.

Collapse -
Answer
Beeps may be a code.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2014 5:01 AM PST

I'm going to assume you googled what "Dell inspiron 4 beeps" reveals on google. I'd like to hear more history.
Bob

Collapse -
4 beeps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2014 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: Beeps may be a code.
Collapse -
Thank you. One card was bad
by Jumpinjoe35 / February 17, 2014 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: 4 beeps.

Runs with one. Can't trust e-bay products anymore. Had to buy new card from Best-Buy. Thank you for your help. It was memory card problem. Installing OS now.

Collapse -
Answer
Recheck your work
by Willy / February 17, 2014 8:15 AM PST

A nasty thing about laptop ram, what looks good may not be. You have to be 100% assured you have a fully seated ram stick in its slot. You can even lock it down and appears OK but often enough it can be still out by mm'ers and not have contact or worse caused the ram to fail because it shorten or similar. Try 1 at a time to see if that seems to make the 4-beeps go away, if both bet fully seated yet alone test OK but together don't then bad ram or poor slot is suspect. You could have cracked the ram slot. The bios beep code will narrow down error for your bios chip model.

I assume your HD is prepared for use in the N5110? -OR- have you even gotten that far because of the beep errors, etc.. You can try a "live version" of a Linux bootable disc. See, if that can boot as it doesn't need the HD, but ram has to be good.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thank you
by Jumpinjoe35 / February 17, 2014 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Recheck your work

It was a problem with bad memory card. Installing OS now. Thank you for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?