PC Applications forum

General discussion

How do I get a Canon Printer to print black ink?

by zeebell / September 23, 2004 11:13 AM PDT

A friend has a Canon Printer C50I and it prints all but black. She just bought a new black ink cartridge and it still does not print. We have run the alignment checks and everything prints except black.

I'm unable to find anything in the options where I must turn on the black ink ---- any ideas?

Does someone have a link to a forum on Canon printers? I've been looking under google and find everything but printers.

I would appreciate any help you could give me please.

Thank you - Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I get a Canon Printer to print black ink?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I get a Canon Printer to print black ink?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2004 12:10 PM PDT

Look in the manual and see if the printer has a SELF TEST FUNCTION. Many printers can do this without a PC attached and it answers if the printer is working... or needs replacement.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Bob -- I'll give that a try.
by zeebell / September 23, 2004 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this...
Collapse -
Tape, perhaps?
by ChuckT / September 24, 2004 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this...

Now this is something I am sure you already checked for, but on the small chance you didn't, and I admit I have missed it at least once myself,...

Is there perhaps some small tape, or some "shipping" covering over the ink supply holes or jets of the cartridge?

Just a possibility, and easy to forget to check for. Wink

Collapse -
Re: How do I get a Canon Printer to print black ink?
by glorym / September 30, 2004 9:36 PM PDT

Go to usa.canon.com. Click on Support. Click on Customer. Send them a message.

Collapse -
Re: How do I get a Canon Printer to print black ink?
by Sugie / October 1, 2004 12:25 PM PDT

I have trouble with black ink and Cannon printers also. I was told by the vendor to take black cartridge out of the printer and soak it for 10 minutes in a bowl of warm water. Dry off, reinsert, and you should have no trouble henceforth. Sometimes the ink gets jammed in shipping or whatever.

It really works!

Collapse -
Re: "Dead Head"
by Critter_97 / October 19, 2004 9:59 AM PDT

That happened to my Canon S520. They told me the black printer head burned out and I ended up buying a new printer.

Collapse -
Re:
by Kees Bakker / October 22, 2004 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: "Dead Head"

Indeed, it can be:
The print head needing cleaning or replacing.
The ink cartridge not good or not installed correctly (tape, no click).
The printer electronics.

Buying a new print head is cheaper than buying a new printer.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!