Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do I free up space so defrag will work?

I have an Acer Aspire5100 laptop with a dual hard drive. My C drive has only 6% free space and disk defragmenter says there must be at least 15% free space to run. My D drive has 60% free space but I don't know how to transfer (or what I can/should transfer) from one hard drive to the other.

Please help!

thank you

Melissa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I free up space so defrag will work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I free up space so defrag will work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things

In reply to: How do I free up space so defrag will work?

Two things:

1: Defragmenting is a waste of time more than 99% of the time, as it really offers no performance benefits and thus puts unnecessary stress on your hard drive

2: A good first target is any "loose" files you have, such as things you may have downloaded, documents, pictures, etc

Collapse -
Tried These Steps Yet?

In reply to: How do I free up space so defrag will work?

First, uninstall any programs you don't want or need..

Next, if you've got any pictures or such in the "My Documents" folder, simply copy them over to the other drive in any folder you decide to create there.. Remember though, for safety, be sure to make backup copies of all such files.. If they're important, you want a copy..

Now clean out the junk files:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

And if you installed SP2 as an update from the original version of XP, use the instructions in this link to tidy up a little more:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.