PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HOW DO I FREE UP SOME VIDEO CARD MEMORY ON A LAPTOP?PLS HELP

by xxleeannxx / August 23, 2006 3:37 AM PDT

HI I HAVE INSTALED A GAME ON TO MY LAPTOP BUT IT SAYS THERE IS TOO LITTLE FREE VIDEO CARD MEMORY.
HOW CAN I FREE UP SOME VIDEO CARD MEMORY???
THANKS FOR READING

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW DO I FREE UP SOME VIDEO CARD MEMORY ON A LAPTOP?PLS HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW DO I FREE UP SOME VIDEO CARD MEMORY ON A LAPTOP?PLS HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You would...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 3:43 AM PDT

Have to know what laptop make/model you have and then using it's BIOS settings increase or decrease dedicated Video memory.

Sorry, but without the laptop make/model and the name of the game this is all I can tell you.

Bob

Collapse -
hi
by xxleeannxx / August 23, 2006 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: You would...

i dont really know alot about computers but it is a dell laptop

Collapse -
Dell has many models. But...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

Without a model number all I can do is point to where such a setting is. I can't help you without it and the game title.

And it may not be solved since some laptops can't play some games. At least with the model and game name one might find out if it's a dead end.

Bob

Collapse -
hi
by xxleeannxx / August 23, 2006 4:16 AM PDT

i think the model name is pp03l.

Collapse -
GAME NAME!!! Sorry to shout.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: hi
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sorry the game name is singles
by xxleeannxx / August 23, 2006 4:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry. Too many games matched on google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 4:33 AM PDT

PLEASE don't make this hard. I'm volunteering to help out and you need only to supply the basic information so we can see if this can be fixed.

How about the maker or author or better yet a link to the game maker's web site?

Bob

Collapse -
hi
by xxleeannxx / August 23, 2006 4:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
my laptop model :)
by prashilpatel / June 30, 2011 12:17 AM PDT

mine is gateway NV52 plz help!!! Sad

Collapse -
That model series does not have the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2011 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: my laptop model :)
http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2009/gateway/nv/nv52/NV52sp2.shtml

All video solutions in this line dynamically allocate up to 1,919 MB or memory or more so there is no issue with this model line.

Maybe you did encounter a problem but this discussion is about some old 48MB video system. At 1,919 MB of video ram, if that game complains, you'll have to ask the game company why!
Bob
Collapse -
OK, now it's a matter of the OS and DIRECTX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 6:28 AM PDT

The game required DirectX 9 with T&L support. It's unlikely your video chipset does this so here's the last hurrah to try to get there.

Dell noted you can give up to 48MB to the video card so do that in the BIOS. I won't duplicate dell's web site about getting in the BIOS or it's settings.

After you have that then get to Dell.com and get the latest video driver from them.

Finally, goto Microsoft.com and get DirectX's latest. Run that and after it's done, rebooted try it again.

There's only a slim chance it will work with the T&L requirement.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?