Computer Help forum

Question

How do I fix my Laptops performance?

by Turin43 / September 2, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

Okay so I bought an RCA 32"tv a few months ago hoping to use it as a monitor for my laptop. After a few weeks of having the laptop connected to the tv via HDMI the laptop became quite slow and laggy. It lags all the time now, when I'm browsing the web or ingame. Anyway, so I bought Guild Wars 2 when it was released and all excited to play it I launched it and soon found that I was getting 10-25 fps. It was extremely annoying and unplayable. I first updated my drivers to the 304.79 beta drivers and still was having terrible performance issues. Next, my dad suggested cleaning the registry so I did that and launched the game. For some reason I was now getting 55-60 fps with great detail ingame. The whole computer actually ran much, much better than it had before. I was so happy and thought we had fixed it. The next day I connected the laptop to my tv again and that proved to be a grave mistake. The computer was back to it's terrible performance and all around general lag no matter what I was doing. I have ran the registry cleaner multiple times, I've ran malwarebytes and Spybot S&D, I've reinstalled the 304.79 drivers and still nothing is working. I can't even play GW2 because the lag is so unplayable. What can I do to fix it? My dad and I are all out of ideas since we've tried just about everything we can think of. Also, how can connecting your laptop to a tv damage it this bad? Or is that not the problem? Anyway, ANY help is appreciated. Please and Thanks in advance.

Dell XPS L502x
Intel Core i5 2410M 2.30 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 525M
6 GB Ram
Windows 7 64-bit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I fix my Laptops performance?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I fix my Laptops performance?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ahh, the GeForce 525m
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 6:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
none
by Turin43 / September 2, 2012 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, the GeForce 525m

Well it's good enough to give me 60fps..

Collapse -
(NT) Which is the rate of an LCD so you're done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: none
Collapse -
by Turin43 / September 3, 2012 3:24 AM PDT

You're not making much sense.. at all.

Collapse -
Let's talk a little about why we are done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

99.9999% of LCD displays are running at a 60Hz panel rate. So if you get your FPS up to 60FPS then you have enough frames to keep up with the LCD panel rate. Any more and those are wasted GPU and CPU cycles.

Hope that clears this up for you.
Bob

Collapse -
by Turin43 / September 3, 2012 7:51 AM PDT

So I can't use it with the tv yeah but it should still work normally when not connected.

Collapse -
And back to the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ..

It's only a 525m and then we have other areas such as HDD speed and not much else. If the unit lags when restored to the factory, the machine is what it is.

This area seems to confuse those that were on desktops where we could swap out the video card and other parts to boost the machine. Look at your laptop. No card, no easy CPU upgrades. Maybe it's the wrong machine for you?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.