Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do I find what Video, Sound Card, etc... is on my PC?

by phattferd / December 17, 2004 2:48 PM PST

I have an Emachines model that is a couple years old, and want to buy Tiger Woods 2005 for my PC, but don't want to if it will run poorly. I want to know what video cards I have and so forth to see if it matches with the games minimum requirements.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
RE: how...
by reefurbb / December 17, 2004 3:16 PM PST

Search for Belarc Advisor, small, free, save PC profile generated as "web page only" to desktop. It will list some hardware and all programs with keys or codes.
Same with Aida32, small, free, gives a lot of hardware info, including video RAM. I bet it's only 4mb, maybe listed as 3.5mb because it shares some of the ram.
Update to DirectX 8.1 or higher, plus critical updates, and start>run>dxdiag and go to display tab.

Collapse -
thanks 1 more question
by phattferd / December 17, 2004 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: RE: how...

I have basic knowledge on computers, that program is cool. Anyway, I don't think I have enough for TW2005 but am thinking of maybe 2003...I am getting a new computer within a few months so i don't want to put a new video card in...this is what the Belarc program said under Multimedia:

MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Standard Game Port

What does this really mean...I know the Soundmax is the sound card, but what does standard game port and the MPU-401 mean.

I know all of that is pretty basic stuff that isn't great. I don't play games, but I have been playing TW2004 on PS2 and want to play while I mess around on the computer.

Collapse -
MPU401
by TONI H / December 17, 2004 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: thanks 1 more question

normally means you have dos support for the sound card in case your games are dos based.

The game port verification means that you have a joystick connector on the sound card so you can attach one if the game calls for one....If you get one such as MS Sidekick, you will have to load the specific software disk that comes with the joystick so you can get all of its features to work and calibrate it.

TONI

Collapse -
RE: stuff
by reefurbb / December 18, 2004 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: thanks 1 more question

Glad to help. I use Belarc, Aida32, and DirectX8.2 all the time to identify stuff although it doesn't do it all, it's better than Sisoft Sandra Standard and same as Everest.
Better video cards depend on your use, 4mb is fine for me because I don't use intense graphics of games, disregard Belarc. I use old regular sound cards and hook through my stereo if I want better.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!