TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How do I find the Blu ray player that's right for me?

by mhanc911 / September 20, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

I want to purchase a blu ray player to connect to a projector. I do not have an HDTV so I was wondering which blu ray player would be best for me. Should I buy a player for my desktop computer since they are cheaper? Will I need to consider factors such as resolution and connectivity since I am going to be using the player with a projector. I don't know that much about blu ray players at all so any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Mitchell

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I find the Blu ray player that's right for me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I find the Blu ray player that's right for me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If there's no hi-def. display, then...
by ahtoi / September 20, 2008 3:20 AM PDT

there's no advantage of having a BD player. Save your money for now. Price will drop some more later.

Collapse -
bluray
by Timx010 / September 20, 2008 6:04 AM PDT

just fyi, i have a sony s300 bluray. Very nice although the only complaint is that it take a while to turn on, and load up. I guess it take all that time to prep the data. It is most definately night and day compared to regular DVD. You can wait for prices to fall and maybe have better technology and better response time. But I bought my for $250 refub from sony a year ago, and paid $40 for the warrenty program. at the time it was 500-600 for bluray. I have seen the s300 at target forsale for $300. hope this is useful info.

Collapse -
its down to $200 brand new
by jostenmeat / September 20, 2008 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: bluray
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PALZE0?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealtime-ce-feed-20&linkCode=asn

However, the new Insignia for $230 is the better player, as I have been informed from someone knowledgable about these things.

The BDP-S300 doesn't bitstream high res audio, doesn't decode DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD, doesn't do profile 1.1 or 2.0 (now becoming a reality thanks to Paramount). It does have multichannel anlog outs for those remaining PCM, DD (Thanks, Warner!), DD+, DTS and DTS-HR HR discs. The upscaling reportedly isn't that great, either. The BDP-S300 is really a 1st generation BDP-S1 dumbed down. In fairness the BDP-S300 was one of the first low cost (sub $500) Blu-Ray standalones. However, it's time has come and gone. This thing along with every other profile 1.0 player should be no more than $100.

However, you probably did well considering when you bought the unit. Cheers.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.