TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

How do I figure out which wire is positive and negative

The phillips sonowave main speakers have three built in identical sized woofers. They are wired with six wires, so the philips machine that controls the speakers probably simply powers the three on some sort of delay to give the desired surround effect. I want to bypass this and run the triple speaker as a single speaker with my receiver. How can I test the wires to see which wire is positive and negative for each individual built in woofer? The colors are black, red, yellow, brown, orange, green so that isn't helping me. They say 8 ohms so I would run the three in a series to keep them at 8 ohms. But how can I find which wire is which? Phillips support is worthless and won't give me any info at all. I want to try this is because these speakers have a great aesthetic appeal due to their narrow size, and judging by the heavy weight and original price they appear to be made with excellent quality. Thanks much if anyone has some technical knowledge on this and knows an easy way to test them! -Shane

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I figure out which wire is positive and negative
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I figure out which wire is positive and negative
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If I am the one that wants to do this,

In reply to: How do I figure out which wire is positive and negative

I would most likely open it up and look at it with my own eyes.

Collapse -
Wish I could

In reply to: If I am the one that wants to do this,

Unfortunately the speaker looks to be glued together from the factory. I suppose I could sacrifice one and break it apart, but I'm not even sure that the individual woofers inside will be marked positive and negative.

Collapse -
The reason I suggest opening it up is...

In reply to: Wish I could

because the sonowave maybe an integrated speaker system rather than just plain speakers alone. So I really don't know what's in that box. As far as speakers go, in general, each speaker has 2 wires and there is really no positive or negative per se. The important thing is they move in and out in unison. If you think there is nothing but just speaker in that box then here's how you find out the polarity of each speaker. Connect a 1.5volt battery across the 2 wires of each speaker and note the direction of the cone moved and also the polarity(+/-) of the battery with respect to the wire. In This example let's make the speak cone move outward then mark the wires, plus or minus. Remember this is for stand alone speaker only. Good luck.

Collapse -
True!

In reply to: The reason I suggest opening it up is...

Yes! I did know you can run speakers in reverse polarity, but was worried about mixing polarity in a series. But yes of course! I bet that's true! Even if the speakers are not marked, they are probably all lined up the same way, since all three are in a row inside the box. So basically I can just find the color of all the "left side of woofer" wires and "right side" wires and combine them. The 1.5V sounds like an excellent trick also. I think we have this figured out, now to see if the sound is going to be as good as I am hoping for. Thanks much, I'll post what happens Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Close inspection

In reply to: How do I figure out which wire is positive and negative

Look closely around the edges or even use a thumbnail, there are hidden screws that will allow disassembly.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.