Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 8 forum

Resolved Question

How do I exit safe mode in windows 8.1 from a blue screen?

by battleoftheplanets / March 25, 2015 8:23 AM PDT

I put my asus pc with windows 8.1 in safe mode and when I restarted it just went to a blue screen with off/restart button in the bottom right corner and narrator settings button in bottom left. all I can get to is the boot menu and bios settings by pressing del before it gets to the blue screen. How do I get out of safe mode? I tried restarting and hitting every one of the f- keys. f1, f2, etc. I tried holding shift while restarting. I tried the windows key+r on the advice from other forums and none of them do anything. I need to get out of safe mode, please help.

battleoftheplanets has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I exit safe mode in windows 8.1 from a blue screen?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I exit safe mode in windows 8.1 from a blue screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by battleoftheplanets

Collapse -
Should be the old control alt delete but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2015 8:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
How I got to safemode
by battleoftheplanets / March 25, 2015 10:52 AM PDT

I got to safe mode options from administrative tools, then system config. There were four safe options. I tried 2 of the options and they both had the regular log in screen when i restarted, which let me log in to get to the control panel to get to system config to get out of safemode. then I tried another safe option (I don't remember what it was called) but this time when i restarted there was no log in, just the blue screen with the off / re start.

Collapse -
Since restarts are BSODs now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2015 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: How I got to safemode

It may help to know why all the work. In the meantime, unplug extra USB connections and tell the backstory.
Bob

Collapse -
why i went to safe mode
by battleoftheplanets / March 25, 2015 1:12 PM PDT

My computer works fine I had no issues until I tried to run an antivirus scan. I have Avast and ran a scan, it reached a certain point and stopped scanning and froze the computer. couldn't do ctrl alt del or shut it down. Had to force a shutdown from the power button on the tower. I also have Malwarebytes and ran a scan with that and the same thing happens. It gets to a point in the scan and stops scanning and freezes the whole computer, making me do a force shutdown. Another odd thing is I don't use the windows defender that comes with the computer but I clicked on it to open it and just clicking on it froze the computer, it wouldn't even open. Again I had to force shutdown. I tried panda antivirus and ran a scan with that, same thing, freezes. So I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point and it fails. I tried chkdsk /r and nothing is found. I tried sfc /scannow and it says windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation. So I was trying things in different safemodes to try and fix the problem which lead me to this situation- stuck at a blue screen.
I'm not sure what you mean by unplug extra usb connections.

Collapse -
Some folk have external USB drives and printers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 1:54 AM PDT

You unplug those during such trials.

Some malware damages the system too deeply for what you wrote to work or fix. That's why we move to restoring the PC to the factory condition and then restoring the apps and files.

Nothing has changed over the years. If you own a PC, you backup what you can't lose.
Bob

Collapse -
problem fixed
by battleoftheplanets / March 26, 2015 9:11 PM PDT

Thanks for the help. I used the how-to geek link you gave in your first answer and holding shift and tapping the f8 key while restarting worked. It brought up the advanced repair options and I did the refresh your pc option. Now everything is back to normal, no freezing on scans. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!