Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Linux forum

General discussion

How do I erase Linux

by iandiiq / November 3, 2004 6:09 AM PST

I have an HP 6635 Pavilion running Win 98 and Linux I want to erase the HD and upgrade it to XP. Win 98 had several errors and erased the drive. But Linux still comes up.
Help

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: How do I erase Linux
by skippyd333 / November 4, 2004 4:07 PM PST
In reply to: How do I erase Linux

When you load Xp And, after it loads all the drivers and files, you begin setup. Just follow directions until you get to the part where it shows all your partitions. Delete the partition that Linux is on. It will not show as a Fat file system or a NTFS partition. You can delete all partitions and then create new ones to start off fresh. Then select C: partition to load XP. If you want to load 98 back on make a partition for it and load it first. Then load Xp. You will then have a dual boot. If you want Linux with Xp Create 2 partitions, don't format the second partition, load xp on the first partition and then boot with Linux and let it find the other unformatted partition. Other wise get partition magic and you can do anything you want to delete, add or merge partitions. Goodluck! Skip

Collapse -
by streagan1 / November 7, 2004 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: How do I erase Linux

You could boot off your w98 disk to dos and then use the command line format of your hard drive. Can't believe you are wanting to go from Linux to xp. After regular blue screens under xp I recently changed to MandrakeLinux 10.1. Huge improvement in stability.

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / November 8, 2004 8:41 PM PST

why go through dos when Xp disk will do it all?

Collapse -
Even MS noted FDISK /MBR for XP...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 9:53 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!