Question

How do I download to a disk?

My husband needs me to get a download on a disk for use on his computer. My computer cannot handle any more downloads, it is full.

Is there a way to do this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How do I download to a disk?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How do I download to a disk?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
If your computer is a PC

then you could try using a Flash Drive (Thumb drive) to download the file to.

Just insert the Flash drive into an available USB port, go to the place that you need to download the file from and when your web browser asks what you want to do with the file, Run or Save, choose Save and navigate to the Flash Drive.

Alternatively, throw away some of the stuff on your "full" computer. Running a computer that is "full" is not a pleasant experience.

P

- Collapse -
Just a note.

Those stupid Windows PC's download to the Temporary Internet Files (if you use Internet Explorer), then copy (not move!) it to the USB-stick. So even that takes space on the full hard disk (if it had been a move, it would still have been temporary space). So if the download is 100 MB and you only have 50 MB available on the hard disk, it wouldn't work.

Cleaning up that full PC is a much better idea. For Windows I see ccleaner (free) recommended here often.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Download to a disk, to transfer to husband's computer

I have a sneaking suspicion that this question means that the "DISK" is full, not that the computer is full, and in turn this could mean that the lady is referring to the floppy disk which they may be going to use to (a) copy the downloaded file onto, and (b) transfer the file onto the husband's computer. (Remember floppy disks?? - I still use some myself on 2 older machines at work!) A 3 1/2" floppy only holds 1.44 MB (not GB) - fairly useless for many of the bigger files we need to download today. So I agree with another user that using a Flash drive (thumb drive) may be the best way, assuming both computers have a USB port (to plug the Flash drive into); also assuming that the lady's computer does not have its hard disk full as this is still needed for temporary files etc. A thumb drive typically holds 2 to 4 GB (approx. 2000 times the size!) or even 16 or more GB.

If I am wrong and the computer itself is close to "full" (meaning its hard disk) then the other suggestions would apply - clean out heaps of old programs, files, etc. etc. Not so easy?? - then a new (bigger) computer is the next step. Hopes this helps! RJ.

CNET Forums